Windows 7 dual boot problem

frlior

Yesterday I installed Windows 7 on my computer, everything is working fine except i can't use dual boot to my Windows XP.
My comupter has 4 SATA drives and I decided to use an old IDE HD that I have and install Windows 7 on it.
When I use WIn 7 the XP drive changes from C to E. I used EasyBCD to add an entry for my XP and pointed it to drive E where XP is now on. But now when I boot my computer and select Windows XP from the dual boot menu the computer reboots and I can not load XP, when I select Windows 7 from the dual boot menu the Win 7 is loading. The only way I can load Win XP is by choosing the HD that has XP in the boot menu before the dual boot menu appears.
I'm thinking that it might be the XP boot.ini problem because I was adding another HD and the XP drive was changed from C to E and now the boot.ini don't know where is my XP OS, but I'm not sure, it could be something else . Anyway here is my XP's boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Maybe I need to change somthing in the file?
It could be also somthing else that i'm doing wrong and I don't know what.
I would be glad if anybody can help me solve this annoying problem and I will be able to use dual boot.
Thank you very much!

Hi frlior, welcome to NST.
Please read the sticky thread, which will explain your problem and give you the solution.
Download the latest build of EasyBCD 2.0, which will automate the whole process for you.
You should not have pointed the BCD at the XP partition, but at the XP boot files, which need to be in the same partition root as W7.
Don't worry, use 2.0, delete the XP entry you made before, add a new entry and accept the offer to auto-configure boot.ini.
EasyBCD will put everything in the right place and point to it correctly.

Thank Guru, it's his code that's doing all the hard work for you.
Each new build automates yet another aspect that we used to spend hours helping posters to do manually.
Soon we'll have nothing more to do here except write "Run EasyBCD 2.0 - It will fix your system"

Back