Windows 7 dual boot with XP

Aight gonna try explain this as best i can.

Windows 7 is on my C: drive and installed first.
Windows xp is on D:
They are both the same drive!

At this present time due to my messing around XP is unbootable but intact and im working from windows 7. Now, At first i couldnt get Easybcd to add XP to the boot menu. Searched around for the workaround --- renamed the "WINXP" folder on drive D to "WINDOWS" temporarily....That worked for easybcd to add xp this is the outcome...

ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting

As you can see its added windows xp on drive C not D ?

Renamed the folder back to WINXP. Created a new boot.ini via the tools option in easybcd and copied it into D: It reads....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
; This boot.ini was automatically generated by NeoSmart Technologies' BootGrabber.exe
; Use EasyBCD from Download EasyBCD 2.0.2 - NeoSmart Technologies to manage your bootloader

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP="Windows XP on D:\" /fastdetect
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

When i reboot i get the ntoskrnl.exe error.
Tried changing the values of the "rdisk" to 1 and 2 out of desperation, no joy.

I really would like to get this done to be able to have consistent poker sessions. Windows 7 and holdem manager conflict and make me disconnect alot. Thats an issue that XP fixes.

Dual booting is my only solution right now. Help me before my head explodes :??

Last edited:
It's supposed to say C not D.
Don't change what EasyBCD sets up and then expect it to boot properly.
The BCD doesn't point to XP. It points to the XP boot file copies on the "system" partition - they point to XP.
Delete the XP entry and add it again (auto) and leave it alone.

Sorry, went off half-cocked there - misread your post.
Get the very latest Beta and do it again.
Support for folders named WINXP has been added, you won't have to fiddle around renaming and editing.

Sok m8 fully understandable. Trust me posting on here was the very last option i took, i spent a good 5 hours at getting it working Lol i was getting very frustrated i suppose just like you do when you get these one post wonders ^^

Back