Windows 7 install while XP still installed

CQuinn

When installing windows 7 (64bit) I decided that rather than try to copy all of my settings and program installation info I would just get a new (second) hard drive, format and partition it under xp then install windows 7 on it.

What I didn’t realize was that I should disconnect the XP hard drive BEFORE installing 7.

Now Windows 7 is installed, along with all my program files and configurations and I would like to erase the windows xp partition on the other hard drive. My disc configuration looks like this –

Capture.jpg

Whenever I try to just disconnect the XP hard drive and boot up in Windows 7 I get this error message "NTLDR missing (press Ctrl-Alt-Del)." After reading for awhile on the net I came across your site and EasyBCD. I’m not a novice but I don’t want to proceed thinking I know what I’m doing when in fact I don’t. Often times I’ve made only one simple mistake in the procedure and – wham – no system at all. Would prefer not to have to go through that again. So am asking for step by step help in how to resolve this.

My aim here is to eliminate the old XP partition (now labeled ‘D’) and add that space to the adjacent partition ‘E’. I have partitioning software to accomplish that task provided I can get the boot sorted. I’m not looking for a dual boot system as discussed in some other threads

Here’s a shot of my opening screen on EasyBCD

Get the latest version of EasyBCD from here > BCD Install/Repair > Change Boot Drive > Perform Action.

If you reboot to find its still not working make sure this drive is first in BIOS boot order. Get our recovery disc from here and follow the instructions here to perform startup repair.

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Ran EasyBCD 2.0 and got a successful screen but on reboot checking both the Disk Management screens and the EasyBCD neither has changed from before. Will try the recovery console next. Do I need to physically disconnect the XP hard drive before proceeding? Should I erase the XP partition before proceeding?

One question - once the change is made will I still see the Windows Boot Manager?

Last edited:
Disconnect the drive XP is on and run startup repair. You don't need to erase XP unless you want to. The goal is simply to allow W7's drive the ability to boot on its own.

When thats done you can reconnect XP's drive. Whether or not you get a boot menu well depend on the boot order in your BIOS. If XP's drive is first, you'll continue to get a menu to select between the two. If W7's is first, it should just boot Windows 7.

If you want a dual-boot menu for that drive as well make sure its first in boot sequence, startup into W7, and add a new entry for XP.

Ok, I see you want to get rid of XP. Once W7's drive is first in the boot order and W7 can boot on its own without need for XP's drive you can safely do what you want with XP's partition.

Last edited:
DId you "change boot drive" to C ?
And then put the C drive first in the BIOS boot sequence ?
If you did, you should find the "system" flag is now on W7 as well as "active" and "boot"
Once XP isn't "system" you can format it.

(incidentally, a DM screenshot isn't much use if it doesn't include the graphic topology like this)

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone I did accomplish what I set out to do. Followed the instructions you gave me and then disconnected the 'xp' hard drive. W7 booted up just fine. Then moved the data on my 'xp' partitions to backup and reformatted the drive and moved it all back. Took awhile but everything is AOK now. Thanks so much for your help. It's nice to know that in a cruel cold world there are still people who are willing to help each other. Thanks again. Charles

Back