Windows 7 installation failure emachines EL1358W

mikegomez

During Windows 7 installation an error message pops up saying “Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation.”

Also, I can not do recovery from CD/DVD drive. I did build a windows 7 recovery disk when the computer worked, but I can't get the computer to boot from the CD/DVD drive. I'm not sure if the CD drive even works, as it kept disappearing when the computer was working (not showing up in windows explorer, or in devices list etc).

Maybe there is still a way to use bootrec.exe outside of CD recovery mode, i.e. from the regular cmd prompt?

I have hope because I CAN get a command window with SHFT F10, but I can't find bootrec.exe on the computer.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Addendum:

Correction regarding the CD/DVD drive.

I was able to get the "press any key to boot from CD DVD" and it ran the white progress bar, but I never get the recovery window that I am looking for to repair the installation. It just alway goes the the "Setup is starting services" screen and never succeeds with the installation.

Last edited:
No good trying to repair the boot, it's the installation that needs to be restarted.
This time, do a full (not quick) format of the space you're installing to. It sounds like the install might be hitting bad blocks on the HDD which are preventing successful completion.

Thanks for your reply Terry. The Window 7 installation came with the computer on a partition on the harddrive.

In the current state the computer is not giving me anymore options for recovery or installation. I only get the options for...
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Start Windows normally

None of the options work. It always looks like the normal Windows 7 startup (sometimes stalling for a long time), then it continues to the installation with a black screen and white letters saying "Setup is starting services". It never makes it through though, and shows the install error that I described...

"Window cannot complete the installation..."

Addendum:

If I hit F8 key I get these additional items

Enable Boot Logging
Enable low-resolution video ((640x480)
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced_
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Last edited:
A bit confused -
You opened the OP with
During Windows 7 installation.......
but you seem to be suggesting that you're not trying to install W7.
The OEM may not have provided you with a W7 DVD, but they should still have a recovery/factory reset capability on HDD in their own partition
Access to it depends on the particular OEM. Your User Handbook should say how to invoke it.
If you need to rescue user data before a "reset" destroys it all, you can do it like this
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

Sorry, I don't even know the correct terminology to describe the problem. I think what I originally tried to do was a "repair installation"?

In any case at this point I am simply trying to describe the messages exactly as they appear on my computer screen.

Thank you for the referral to the Ubuntu Live CD. I have my data backed up, but that looks extremely handy for future use.

Being able to do the factory reset that you mentioned would be wonderful. That's what I am currently researching.

Thanks.

I think Acer is Alt +F10 at power up, but the BIOS needs D2D facility enabled first.

Back