Windows 7 multiboot: can't make W7backup

laraweb

Hello

I have a Vista-PC, and later I added XP on another partition. Now I installed Windows 7 on a second hard disc (F), and it added in the earlier Easy BCD Program. Now I have 3 entries, and I can run Vista on C, Win7 on F and XP on J.

All works fine, but when I run Win7, it says, that it is on C, but in fact it is installed on F. So I can not use the Win7 Backup und Restore. There is the error message: 0x8007007B.

I have searched the internet, and it seems, that it is a bootmanager problem. In the bootmanager, it says, that Win7 is on F. But when I run win7, it says, it is on C. How can I fix this problem?

There are a total of 4 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Windows 7

Entry #1

Name: Frhere Windows-Version
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \ntldr

Entry #2

Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: F:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #3

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #4

Name: Microsoft Windows XP2
BCD ID: {cf5bc9d3-cb00-11de-9610-ca1a471d535c}
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Drive letters change with the system, especially with anything Vista or newer. While they're great for identification you can't depend on them being the same from system to system. Nothing wrong with this, perfectly normal. Letters are just IDs in the Windows registry.

Thank you for your answers. I have searched earlier about the error message of Win7 backup and restore, but I could not find a solution. There are three major answers:

1. No original Win7 boot manager
2. New installation of Win7
3. It is a special Win7 - Acer PC problem

But I will look at your google search...

I have tried this some days ago, but it does not help me, because they say, I have to select the right hard disc, but the right hard disc is already selected. There is no duplicate volume.

Last edited:
Please post a screenshot of all steps leading up to the error message in W7 Backup & Restore, starting with the W7 Backup & Restore program having been just opened.

"Aus" means off, and "Ein" means on. I have vista on D, and win7 on C, if I run win7. If I run vista, vista is on C.
According to Google Translate (from German to English), "Aus" means "From" and "Ein" means "A", which doesn't make any sense. :smile: But regardless, if Vista is selected, and W7 is deselected, that might explain your problem. I'm assuming you're trying to backup the W7 partition C? If so, deselect Vista, then select W7, and see if that helps.

Addendum:

Wait, hold on. I just realized that earlier "fix" posted is for a System Restore error with the same error code, not the W7 Backup & Restore. Two separate things.

Ok, let's start from Square 1 again... :smile:

Where exactly are you trying to backup your W7 partition to, if I'm correct in the assumption that the W7 partition is even the partition you're trying to backup?

Addendum:

Here's a link that may be of help to you:

My Windows 7 Backup Restore Experience | Grant Pannell

Last edited:
No, Vista is NOT selected! W7 is selected! Don't believe Google-Translate! :wink:

I start the W7 Backup, see pic 1, then I get the error message, that the last backup was not successful. See pic 2. Then I click on "More information", and I get pic 3. The syntax of file name, directory name, or data storage name is wrong! Details: 0x8007007B

It does not matter, if I make the backup on a usb harddrive, or any other harddrive. It is always the same error. And it does not matter, if I change the W7-Backup-details, it is always the same error.

This link:

My Windows 7 Backup Restore Experience | Grant Pannell

dows not help me, to, because I can't even make a backup.

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

Pic 3:

No, Vista is NOT selected! W7 is selected! Don't believe Google-Translate! :wink:
You're right. I'm sorry. I had it backwards.
I start the W7 Backup, see pic 1, then I get the error message, that the last backup was not successful.
Ok, I was able to roughly translate what the program and dialog in the first pic says. Perhaps you can provide a better translation...:wink:

German:
Zeigt neue Meldungen an und hilft beim Losen von Problemen.
Von Wartungscenter wurde mindestens ein Problem festgestellt, das von Ihnen uberpruft werden muss.
Sicherheit
Wartung
Sicherungseinstellungen uberprufen

Der Datentrager oder die Netzwerkadresse, auf dem bzw. unter der die Sicherungen gespeichert werden, wurde nicht gefunden.
Sicherungsdatum: 29.05.1010 19:23 Optionen

Meldungen zu Windows-Sicherung deaktivieren

Wenn Ihr Problem nicht aufgefuhrt

Sicherung einrichten

Windows-Sicherung wird gestartet...
Bitte warten Sie, wahrend die Windows-Sicherung gestartet wird.

Abbrechen

Problembehandlung
Probleme erkennen
English:
Displays of new reports and helps lots of problems.
Maintenance center at least one problem was identified, which are checked by you.
Security
Maintenance
Backup Settings uberprufen

The data carrier or the network address, are stored on or under the fuse was not found.
Backup Date: 05/29/1010 19:23 Options

Messages for Windows backup disable

If your problem is not aufgefuhrt

Backup set

Windows backup is started ...
Please wait while the Windows Backup starts.

Stop

Troubleshooting
Identify problems
cleardot.gif
and here is the translation of Pic 2:

German:
Eigene Dataien sichern oder wiederherstellen

Sicherung uberprufen
Die letzte Sicherung wurde nicht erfolgreich ausgefuhrt. Wietere Informationen

Sichern

207,90 GB frei von 231,05 GB
GroBe der Sicherung: 0 bytes

Speicherplatz verwalten

Nachste Sicherung: 30.05.2010 19:00
Letze Sicherung: Nie
Inhalt: Dateien in Bibliotheken und person lichen Orden fur ausgewahlte Benutzer
Zeitplan: Immer am Sonntag um 19:00

Einstellungen andern

Weiderherstellen
Am aktuellen Sicherungsspeicherort wurden keine Sicherungen gespeichert. Dateien konnen von einem anderen Speicherort wiederhergestellt werden.

Andre Sicherung fur die Weiderherstellung auswahlen

Systemeinstellungen auf dem Computer wiederherstellen
English:
Your own files to our backup and restore or

Backup uberprufen
The last backup was not successfully executed. Or further information

Secure

207.90 GB of 231.05 GB free
Magnitude of the backup: 0 bytes

Manage Space

Nearest Backup: 30/05/2010 19:00
Last backup: Never
Content: Files in libraries and human lichen orders for selected users
Schedule: Always on Sunday at 7:00 p.m.

Other settings

Weiderherstellen
At the current backup location no backups have been saved. Files can be restored from a different location.

Others choose a backup for the production Weider

System Restore on the computer
Then, in Pic 3, its basically the same as Pic 2, only you pressed the "More Information" button, which brought up the dialog which has the following German:
Windows-Sicherung: Problembehandlungsoptionen

Sicherung uberprufen

Die Syntax fur den Dateinamen, Verzeichnisnamen oder die Datentragerbezeichnung ist falsch.

Sicherung erneut ausfuhren
Translated, that means:

Windows backup: Troubleshooting Options

Backup uberprufen

The syntax for the file name, directory name, or Datentragerbezeichnung is wrong.

Securing exports again
What happens when you press the second link in the dialog?

Anyway, I get the gist of what you did. You obviously tried to backup to the external Iomega HDD (N: ), and obviously that was a problem for some reason. I'm working on the why right now...

Last edited:
OK, this is definitely NOT the answer to your question, but if you're looking for a good free backup program, my company just released Genie Timeline 2.0.

You can read about it here: Genie Timeline 2.0: Quality Free Backup For All The NeoSmart Files

Thank you! I have Acronis True Image Home 11 for Backup and Restore, but my problem is, that I think, there is something generally wrong with my W7-installation, because I have this error message on a simple prorgram of W7 itself. And I want to know, what's going wrong with my W7. because I think, there will follow more errors, if I cant' fix this error.

@ Coolname007:

This first error message (Pic 1) was only because I had forgotten to connect my usb harddisk.:wink:

Does W7 Backup & Restore give you the option of selecting which partitions/locations to backup, or will it only backup C?

Addendum:

Hmm...perhaps this link will shed some light on your problem:

Backup fails with error 0x8007007B - Page 5 - Windows 7 Forums

The poster suggests that the error is caused by a filename error. Do this:

1. Click the Windows menu.
  2. Click on "Computer".
  3. Right-click the C: drive.
  4. Click Properties.
  5. Click Tools tab.
  6. Click Error Checking.
  7. Click Check Now.

chkdsk should fix any filename errors it finds, so then the backup should work.

Last edited:
Now I have made chkdsk, it lasts over 1 hour, and it didn't find errors. But the backup does not work after this. It is the same error again.

Does W7 Backup & Restore give you the option of selecting which partitions/locations to backup, or will it only backup C?

I can select whatever I want, it is always the same error.

Hello

I have a Vista-PC, and later I added XP on another partition. Now I installed Windows 7 on a second hard disc (F), and it added in the earlier Easy BCD Program. Now I have 3 entries, and I can run Vista on C, Win7 on F and XP on J.

All works fine, but when I run Win7, it says, that it is on C, but in fact it is installed on F. So I can not use the Win7 Backup und Restore. There is the error message: 0x8007007B.

I have searched the internet, and it seems, that it is a bootmanager problem. In the bootmanager, it says, that Win7 is on F. But when I run win7, it says, it is on C. How can I fix this problem?
Perhaps the problem stems from having W7 on another HDD.
When you installed W7, was the HDD containing XP and Vista still connected? Also, how did you install it? Did you boot from the DVD or did you install it from Vista or XP's desktop?
Currently, is your W7 HDD first in the boot sequence of your BIOS, or is the HDD containing Vista and XP first?

I booted from DVD, and there are two hard disks connected. Number 1 with Vista and XP, and number two with nothing. Win 7 asked me, how to install, as an upgrade, or new, and I choose new. Then it asked me, where to install, and I choose the new hard disk.

Back