Windows 7 not booting, recovery not working

zada

Ok, so i was trying restore the default windows MBR with easybcd, and now it wont boot, screen stays black.

The automatic startup recovery on the install disk fails, says it cant fix the problem.

bootrec /rebuildbcd comes up with an error:
"The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted"

I've tried following tutorials i've googled, but they fail at
bcdedit \import c:\boot\bcd
which gives the above error.

Chkdsk says there are no errors found.

Can this be fixed or do i need to reinstall?

Seems like your system disk is corrupted.

Try running chkdsk /r on the corrupt(ed) disks before doing any of the boot recovery steps.

I'm having a similar problem: After an upgrade to W7 - from Vista - I am trapped in the System Recovery window, and the automated Startup Repair never finds anything to repair, even after several tries.

Hmmm.... What to try next?

(Another reason to stick with our Macs and Solaris boxes?)

I fixed the problem by installing Windows 7 to another partition and then adding the original install to the bootloader with easybcd so i could boot into it. Then it was just a matter of using easybcd to reinstall the bootloader on the original partition and delete the new partition.

I did however run chkdsk /r with the install disk, just to make sure my disk wasn't corrupted somehow, and it still comes up with
"Windows has checked the file system and found no problems."
So no idea what was causing the problem.

Back