Windows 7 Not Booting

Toki

hello,

My computer crashed. I am running windows 7 64 bit.

I did a recovery to factory settings and when it restarted, I got a windows error recovery black screen. Then I found this site and did the steps.

I burned the windows 7 recovery 64 bit file to a dvd and when I go to the option to restore my computer, I dont have a restore point available.

What can I do, I am dead in the water at this point.

Am I doing something wrong?

If "factory reset" from the recovery partition didn't put the PC back exactly as it was "out of the box", then the recovery partition must be corrupted too.
Did you make portable copies when the PC was new ?
Did you use portable copies for the recovery ?
Have you tried the HDD version ?
Our repair disk can help you fix a broken boot process. It can't help with a corrupt OS.

No I did not make portable copies. How can I get those?

No I did not use portable copies for the recovery, I used the hp manager.

Where can I get this HDD version?

If the recovery partition is corrupt will I have to install a new copy of windows 7? If so, where can I get that because my hp pc was already preinstalled.

Thanks

The HDD version is what comes in the recovery partition on your PC, you can access it directly from Windows (if Windows is still working) or via F11 or F12 as you power up.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...me=c00809678&dlc=en&product=1817074#RecoverOS
used to be an open URL with complete HP recovery instructions.
Unfortunately they seem to have gone the same way as Sony, Dell and others, and made access to the data only available to registered users, so you'll have to log on and search for the details yourself.
If you cannot get the F11/12 restore to work, and you didn't use the option provided to make backup copies when the PC was new, you'll have to buy a set of recovery discs from HP if you want all of the bundled extras back.
Alternatively, you could borrow a Vista DVD from a friend and reinstall a vanilla copy, making sure to quote the key from your own PC, not from the DVD.
You can use these instructions to rescue personal data first
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
If you don't have a DVD you can borrow, you might be able to get a free copy from MS
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Hey Terry,

I just got the recovery discs from HP today and did the process via the discs.

Now I get a pop up box (attached) and the system will not finish installing the programs. I just get that box everytime I restart it.

What could be wrong if I am doing a recovery using the hp discs?

Attachments

• photo(5).JPG
    photo(5).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 0
I would guess you need to get something like "KillDisk" (free) and wipe the drive clean (fill it with zeros) before doing the re-install. Win7 occasionally does strange things if/when it sees any evidence of having been there before.

Would using "partition wizard" and wiping it clean do the sameting as the killdisc? I am doin that now. Then I will try the recovery again.

Yes, delete the current partitions,do a full format (not quick) of the entire HDD as one partition. (will read the entire disk surface and remove bad sectors permanently from further use), then delete that partition and try the recovery disks again.

Ok, when the program partition wizard started I clicked on the "disk 1" and deleted all partitions.

Then I clicked on the "disc 1" section again (although I did not have highlighted the "unallocated section" should I have selected that to wipe clean?) I then started the long process of wiping clean disk 1. I used the "7 passes' option. I am just not sure I am doing this right.

After that I did the recovery again but when all was said and done, I got a blue screen at start up saying fatal error c000021a, then it went to a black windows recovery error screen.

What is a good program to start from a clean slate... or can someone let me know the steps with what software to get this fixed?

Thanks everyone!

... I did not have highlighted the "unallocated section" should I have selected that to wipe clean?
The utility you used might work or look a little differently than the KillDisk I normally use, but there should be no need to delete partitions. Just run the "wipe" or "zero" utility over the entire drive ... and I usually just do one pass of zeros.

After that I did the recovery again ...
After that, you need re-installation or restoration, not recovery. After the drive has been wiped, there is nothing there to recover.

when all was said and done, I got a blue screen at start up saying fatal error c000021a ...

Here is what Microsoft says about that, and it looks ugly:

Error Message The Session Manager Initialization System Process...

What brand is on your computer? You might need some kind of proprietary setup utility before you can re-install your operating system. Or, maybe you do not have an actual OS installation disc?

Last edited:
I have an HP Pavilion...

This is all beyond me. Can I call hp and will they send me these "restoration disks or re-installation disks?

It is still under the one year warranty.

I don't think I even want to attempt this registry fix.

So, all I would need is the OS windows 7 home premium and everything will be fine?

I did wipe the drive and did a surface test. All was good there. Now it is back to this pop up box, from image above, no blue screen.

Thanks!

Last edited:
With your computer being still under warranty, giving HP a call or even at least taking a look online would certainly make sense. However, any Windows 7 Home Premium disk should work for re-installing your OS -- your license key should already be on your machine -- unless HP actually does use some kind of special setup utility. That used to be the case with a Compaq computer needing a "ROMPAQ" BIOS installation to the hard drive prior to OS installation, but I do not know whether HP (now owning Compaq) has ever done the same.

Sorry but any Win7 disk will not work. There is differences between OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) copies and Retail copies that you buy in stores. OEM are tailored specifically for that manufacturer and that machine. They contain specific programs and drivers for them. While a Retail copy does not.

Included in that is the fact that OEM and Retail serials are not interchangeable. You cant use a Retail Serial on an OEM copy and vice versa. So he will need an Win7 Home Premium OEM version for reinstall. Not a Win7 Home Premium Retail copy. That is the only way that serial on the side will work.

You can contact HP and have them send you the media.

Sorry but any Win7 disk will not work ...
I have never had any trouble using Dell OEM disks on other machines and vice-versa as long as "Home Edition" or whatever is the same as the appropriate license key, but I am certainly not saying you are wrong ... and especially with anything from HP!

You can use an OEM disk from another provider. But the thing is as i said. The disk is tailored to that specific company and model.

Why would you want the Dell software installed on your HP machine? You wouldnt. Just like you wouldnt want your HP software on your Dell.

But the bit about OEM and Retail is completely true. You cant jsut pick up a Win7 Home Premium disk that is for Retail and use it with OEM installs. It wont work. It wont accept the serial saying it is pirated.

You can use an OEM disk from another provider. But the thing is as i said. The disk is tailored to that specific company and model.
I have never experienced that, but I am not saying you are wrong. In my experienced with Dell OEM disks, I am simply saying the only thing special about them is automatic activation on a Dell -- no online activation required for a Dell -- and the lack of needing to enter a license key on a Dell. Then, Dell typically provides *extra* disks with machine-specific drivers and software. But when using a Dell OEM disk on any other machine, the installation is a very typical Windows installation, just needing a version-specific license key and online activation where a Dell would not.

Why would you want the Dell software installed on your HP machine?

A Windows installation disk is not Dell software. Dell software comes on separate disks ... unless you might be talking about Dell system-restoration disks rather than Windows installation disks. In my own experience, it matters not what kind of graphics happen to appear on a Windows installation disk.

But the bit about OEM and Retail is completely true. You cant jsut pick up a Win7 Home Premium disk that is for Retail and use it with OEM installs ... It wont accept the serial ...
Understood. All Windows installation disks (with whatever graphics might happen to be on them) are *version-specific* in relation to license keys ... but then even that becomes irrelevant when using a Dell OEM disk on a Dell machine. If the machine and the disk both say "Dell", the installation will work and run.

You are taking this way out of context and way off topic.

You said he could use ANY disk for his install. I pointed out that is not true. He has to use an OEM specific disk.

However, any Windows 7 Home Premium disk should work for re-installing your OS -- your license key should already be on your machine

This is the statement that i am saying is incorrect. As that statement is not true at all. You cant use any disk, you must use an OEM specific disk.

He doesnt have a Dell so all your talk about Dell disks is serving no purpose. Yes your right if he had a Dell and borrowed a Dell OEM disk he could just install. But he has an HP so that is completely irrevelant to the topic at hand. It wont generate a key for him that will activate. It is a completely different manufacturer and it doesnt help.

I have experienced plenty of issues using a disk from one OEM on another OEM machine. It can and does happen. Be glad that you havent had that happen to you.

Where did i say that Dell Software is anything to do with Windows? No where. I said that the OEM disks are tailored. Meaning that a Dell Disk will include things like the Dell Support links, which he wont need being on a HP machine. That is what i mean by being tailored to the system. You competely misunderstood what was meant by my comments.

I still dont understand why your pushing this Dell arguement. Cause simply put, he is not using a Dell so what does it matter? My point was simple. Use OEM with OEM and Retail with Retail. I dont know or understand why your arguing when all i did was point out that your statement saying he could use any disk was incorrect.

You havent come across any issues using an OEM disk on any machine, well congrats. I have and it isnt pretty to try and fix. Considering that no machine now comes with media at all unless you order it and pay extra, this whole arguement is kinda silly. All machines come with Recovery Partitions that you either can boot to or burn your own personal media from. So he would have to order the media from HP and the whole arguement is null and void cause he is getting it directly from the OEM anyways. Which negates this whole arguement.

My point was simple. I was just showing how you cant just use any disk. As there is a difference. Not everyone knows or understands that and i was just trying to make it known and understood that the use of just any disk would be trouble.

Last edited:
You said he could use ANY disk for his install. I pointed out that is not true. He has to use an OEM specific disk.
You might be correct there concerning some machines, but I have never that kind of problem. After completely wiping the hard drive, I have used a standard Win7 installation disk to completely replace whatever had previously been on my Acer 5517 notebook. I had to go looking for certain hardware-specific drivers, of course, and I did get those by downloading them from Acer. However, the OS installed just fine from nothing but a standard Windows disk.

You cant use [just] any disk, you must use an OEM specific disk.
That might be your own personal experience, but it has never been mine.

He doesnt have a Dell so all your talk about Dell disks is serving no purpose.
Unless his HP is completely different, the principles are the same.

... if he ... borrowed a Dell OEM disk he could just install ...
It won't generate a key for him that will activate.
True, but his own key will work just fine as long as the version of Windows being installed matches the key he would use from the sticker on his machine ... and again, I say that is true unless HP does something totally different than I have ever before seen.

Where did i say that Dell Software is anything to do with Windows?
I had not said you did. I was merely trying to be sure we were talking about installation disks rather than any kind of restoration disk.

... a Dell Disk will include things like the Dell Support links ...
Not from the Windows installation disk. For at least every machine I have ever done, that kind of stuff only comes from the additional Dell-or-whatever disks I almost never use anyway.

Use OEM with OEM and Retail with Retail.
At least in certain cases, OEM disks are better ... and that began as far back, at least, as with Windows 95 OEM disks having USB support.

I dont know or understand why your arguing when all i did was point out that your statement saying he could use any disk was incorrect.
Because in my own experience, that statement is incorrect.

You havent come across any issues using an OEM disk on any machine, well congrats.
I thank you.

All machines come with Recovery Partitions that you either can boot to or burn your own personal media from.
I do not have any of those on my own machines.

It has not been my intent to give you any kind of hard time here. I just think people have a right to know they do not have to be mere subjects of computer manufacturers and Microsoft if they would prefer to have more control over their own computers ... and especially since they are likely to get no help from either after a warranty period has expired ... and I would bet each of us could tell some horror stories there. In my own opinion, planned obsolence is a rip-'em-all-off travesty.

Last edited:
I have an HP Pavilion...

This is all beyond me. Can I call hp and will they send me these "restoration disks or re-installation disks?

It is still under the one year warranty.

I don't think I even want to attempt this registry fix.

So, all I would need is the OS windows 7 home premium and everything will be fine?

I did wipe the drive and did a surface test. All was good there. Now it is back to this pop up box, from image above, no blue screen.
Have you been able to come any farther along here? I suspect the disks HP sent you do not include an actual Windows OS-installation disk, and that would mean the disks they did send are expecting the hard drive to already be in some kind of HP-configured condition. Many years ago, computers were shipped with disks that could "begin from scratch" as when a new hard drive had replaced the original, but that is no longer the case. So, I am guessing you will either have to send your machine back to HP for re-configuration of the drive (and an OS installation while it is there) or else find an OEM Windows installation disk (take a look on eBay) either for an HP at least similar to yours or else for your machine's specific OEM version so your license key will work (if the disk is not an HP OEM disk). With Dell computers, any Dell disk will work on any Dell machine, but that might not be the case with HP.

Last edited:
Yes, as it stands at this point after wiping the disk clean... I do need to install Windows again but I don't have those disk's. I ended up calling HP and I am going to send it back so they can re install the OS again. I asked if I could do it but they said no, they don't send out the OS to people.

Good thing it is still under warranty.

I was going to try and find a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium on the net to try and do this myself just for craps and giggles.

I will let you guys know.

Thanks for all the help here!

Addendum:

I went ahead and loaded a copy of windows 7 home premium x86 architecture (not sure if I should have done the x86 or x64) after it installed it did work fine. It just doesn't have all the hp stuff on it.

Should I still let hp take it and redo it or just keep it as is?

Last edited:
Back