Windows 7 Recovery CD

Mosey

I have a Toshiba with Windows 7. It suddenly won't start Windows. I get the following error message:

Windows Error Recovery
----------------------------
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally.

Launch Startup Recovery (recommended)
Start Windows Normally

If I choose "Start Windows Normally", it goes to a screen that says it's loading windows and stays there. I left it sit for 3 hours and it never started up.

If I choose "Launch Startup Recovery (recommended)", it goes to a blank screen with only the cursor showing and stays there. I left it sit for 3 hours and it never started up.

I didn't recently make any hardware or software change. I don't have any recovery disks or install disks. So, is the "Windows 7 Recovery CD" offered at this link:

High Speed System Recovery Disc Downloads

the right one to fix my problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.

It is possible that it can fix your problem, but it is not guaranteed to do the job. It is up to you if you want to spend the cash to get the disk or not.

Is this the same CD that is made by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Backup and Restore, then clicking Create a system repair disc?

No this is a completely different disk that NeoSmart has made. It is Linux based not Windows based. It is not what you are expecting. But it does have the same abilities as the disk you are talking about. So if that disk failed, then the chances this will succeed are slim to none as well.

Thanks for clearing that up. I made the disk (using another PC with the same OS) and it didn't work. So, I still can't get it to boot up at all. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Are you able to get into Safe Mode or any Recovery options at all using that disk, like a Restore Point?

Can't get to Safe Mode. I choose Start Windows Normally and immediately press F8, but it just beeps and goes to the same screen as before and hangs.
Can't get to anything actually!

It turns out the other Toshiba is a 32-bit. It's older than the one with the problem. We also have a 3rd Toshiba, which is less than a year old and it's a 64-bit. So, I made a recovery CD from it. I put it in the one with the problem and was able to get to the screen where it let's you choose "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", etc. I tried "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", and "Last Known Good Configuration". All resulted in the same blank screen with the cursor in the middle. So, I can't get to the screen shown in the link you sent. Rats!

Well it sounds like the system is corrupt. I would download Ubuntu and use that to access the hard drive to get your personal files off of there. After that I would factory reset.

When I press and hold the 0 (zero) key and then power it up, I get to a screen that says:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

Enter=Continue ESC=Exit

It just hangs at that point and won't respond to any key presses.

In the event that the OEM supplied recovery facility is itself broken, your only option is to contact them for a portable copy. (Unless you took advantage of the "make your own backup" option which they normally offer when you first commission the PC.)

Last edited:
Back