Windows 7 - two installs on two HDD, one PC

insomnia79

Afternoon,

I have windows 7 and following a corruption of vista installed w7 to a hdd in my pc. Its an 80gb sata drive and the install went smoothly, rebooting and completing as you would expect.

I then wanted to dual boot w7 and install this onto a seperate 500gb SATA drive in the same PC. The reason for this is that if there was a corruption I could use the 80gb install to access files quickly.

When I installed onto the 500gb it loads and updates, then restarts. It then shows an error that winload.exe was not found or missing and attempts to repair via the DVD. It fails to do this and I can only load the 80gb installation. I know tha the 500gb is sound but I have doubts on the bcdedit settings. There is unknown in the OS and device settings of the {default} sections.

Have I made things too complicated by asking for two versions of teh same OS on two seperate HD's in the one PC? Is there simpler way to do what I am attempting?

Many thanks

(Can post the bcdedit text if required)

P

Addendum:

Hi,

I resolved this one on my own. I discivered that on the other 80gb install it was not pointing to any Os install under the device or OS device. This I assume is specific to the OS that is loaded at the time? Anyway, thought I would complete this one for anyone else who had problems. I read it someplace before as well but you need to change the devce settings to the other OS, when you have accessed bcdedit inthe OS you are currently using.

i.e. I used the 80gb install to access the drive and then edited the bcdedit file to point to the other installaton. Reboot and then choose the other install from teh dual boot menu. Check the bcdedit again and it should be like this (assuming that this is the current install?). Hence why it shows C as the osdevice and E in the other osdevice.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>bcdedi
'bcdedi' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=E:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}