Windows 7 Ultimate - 0xc000000f - Can only boot into Windows via USB

rcc

Hi. I've read and followed the many excellent threads here regarding this error message, so I hope I'm not duplicating one that addresses my exact situation.

On a Lenova Ideapad S10-2 netbook, I am getting the "Windows Boot Manager" black screen:

"Windows failed to start...

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

I created a bootable Recovery USB

(per http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Step-by-Step+Guide+to+Making+a+Bootable+Windows+Recovery+USB)

and have executed all of the steps detailed at

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Windows+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

including Option Three's creation of a new and clean bootloader built from scratch.

Upon restart of the machine, I still get the message above.

I *can*, however, always start the computer with the Bootable USB inserted, F12 into the Boot Manager Menu, select the USB Drive, and proceed just fine into my working installation of Windows 7 Ultimate.

However . . . I'm curious why I still need the bootable USB.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions for further steps.

(Btw - I can't System Restore to a date that precedes having the issue. I purchased the computer second hand without installation discs. I've run chkdsk and malwarebytes and avg without issue.)

Thank you.

- C

Last edited:
Thank you. I didn't have "receive emails from other members" enabled - sorry if I missed your email. It's now enabled :smile:

Last edited:
the same thing he said, i can ONLY boot into windows via the usb stick. I think the fix doesn't apply to the windows install, just adds the windows boot to the bcd on the thumbdrive.

To be sure I was clear . . .

Starting up my machine produces the "Windows Boot Manager" black screen with error 0xc000000f.

However: if I have the USB (containing the Win7 Recovery ISO) inserted at startup, I can F12 into the Boot Manager, select

"3. USB HDD : SanDisk"

and Windows will then start just fine.

Addendum:

I think the fix doesn't apply to the windows install, just adds the windows boot to the bcd on the thumbdrive.

Sounds plausible to me.

Last edited:
Back