windows 8.1 Boot Problem

I have a laptop with win 8.1 dual booted with linux. I no longer use linux so i deleted the partition and followed the following steps to repair my win8.1 MBR but I'm able to load windows with the help of pendrive only.

If bootrec utility doesn’t fix your Windows 8/8.1, try following the next commands to fix the EFI bootloader of the Windows 8/8.1:

1. Boot from the installation DVD or the Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 recovery USB
  2. Click Repair your computer
  3. Choose Troubleshoot
  4. Choose Command Prompt
  5. Type these commands in order and hit Enter after each:
    diskpart
    sel disk 0
    list vol
    These commands will select the first disk of your computer and the list all the partitions available on that disk.

6. Check for the volume item that has the Fs column FAT32. The EFI partition must be formatted under FAT32.
    If the volume number of EFI partition is “2”, type the following command:
    sel vol 2

7. Assign a letter to this partition, a letter that is different that those already available on your computer, for example x:\. Type this command to assign the letter:
    assign letter=x:
  8. Wait for the success message to appear:
    DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.
  9. Type exit to quit the DiskPart utility:
    exit
  10. Type this command and replace x:\ with the letter you assigned earlier to the EFI partition:
    cd /d x:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
  11. Then type the bootrec command to repair the volume:
    bootrec /fixboot
  12. Now you need to backup the old BCD and recreate a new one. Type:
    ren BCD BCD.backup //this step didn't worked so,I skipped it
  13. Type this command to recreate the BCD and replace the x:\ with the assigned letter earlier:
    bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s x: /f ALL In above command, Windows is installed on c:\. If the drive letter where your Windows 8/8.1 is installed is different, replace c:\ with your drive letter.
  14. Remove the DVD from the disk tray
  15. Type exit
  16. Restart your computer

Last edited:
Penndrive - containing what? Well can't you use one of those tutorials to repair the startup using the pendrive?

Can you borrow a copy of the Windows installation DVD from someone and use a DVD drive perhaps? Maybe that pendrive isn't set to be bootable?

As long as it's the same version as you already have, you could then use your own key to activate if needed.

Got the solution finally
Downloaded the bootsec (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35619242/Bootsect.exe) & the followed the foll steps:
Press the windows key, type cmd.exe and on the result (The command prompt) start it as an "Administrator" by right clicking on the cmd icon, and select Run as Administrator.
In the new cmd.exe window, cd to your download directory. for example cd C:\Users\Lalu Patel\Downloads. _assuming your user name is "Lalu Patel".
Then enter this command. bootsect.exe /nt60 ALL /force /mbr. Restart your system to see that, Windows is automatically loading without grub.

After booting,windows boot cmd will open.Typed the foll. command
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /ScanOs
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Back