Windows 8 RP Boot Error

utkstryker

I'm trying to set my laptop to boot the Windows 8 Release Preivew. I downloaded the ISO, created a bootable file on a flashdrive and did a clean install on my reformatted HDD. However, I am getting the Digital signature cannot be verified error. I've tried the auto-repair tool and reinstalling multiple times with no success. I've found others with this error, but no fix specific to my problem. Essentially the only thing I have to work with at this point is Command Prompt on the laptop and a spare laptop to create the files with. My error code is 0xc0000428. Any suggestions?

Hello friends! I have a lot of troubles with my dual boot menu, Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Enterprise evaluation copy, both on 64bit. If I am working in Windows 7, and after a period of time, let's say a half a day, I can't boot in Windows 8. Simply disappears from the boot menu. I have to repair it with my dvd installation with your tips exposed here: Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki. All good and in place, but after another period of time, it disappears again. It's frustrating and very tedious to do that so often. Can anyone help me resolve my problem? I have to tell you, I have only one hdd with four partitions, C: with Windows 7 and D: with Windows 8. Please, can somebody help me? Thank you in advance.

Do you mean that W7 reboots without offering you a boot choice, or that the W8 entry in the BCD has been deleted when you look in there with EasyBCD ?

Yes, Terry, Windows 7 reboots without offering you a boot choice. EasyBCD shows me both operating systems, and even I restore boot configuration with my backup it won't let me choose any entryes. Yesterday, after I proceeded like in my post above, it gave me error code 0xc0000428, and it can't verify winload.exe signature. Even if I restore the entire partition with Acronis true image is useless. I can only do like here Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki to regain both Windows. I tryed to add a new entry with EasyBCD, but in the dropdown is no option to add Windows 8. I chose Windows 7, but it given an error. Here is a screenshot with my partitions: http://puu.sh/145VH What should I do? Thank you.

Thanks Terry, but I installed both operating systems on the same hard disk, different partitions. So these comments do not help me. Should I do the same? I have not seen such behavior in a dual boot before. I do not understand why it does not work even if I restore boot configuration with EasyBCD. I hope to find a solution to my problem. Thank you.

That user happened to have separate HDDs. That's not the point.
W7 bootmgr won't accept W8 winload as genuine.
If you keep repairing the boot with the W7 DVD, you'll keep putting the W7 bootmgr back.
You need to be booting W7 from W8, or to have installed W8 so that it took control and replaced W7 bootmgr with its version.

I understand what you say, Terry, but to be sure, can I copy W8 bootmgr and replace W7 bootmgr in C: partition? I tried to rename W7 bootmgr in bootmgr7 and I copy W8 bootmgr in W7 partition. Doesn't work, same result. Maybe another solution is to use EasyBCD to erase W7 entry from boot, and boot in W8, also with EasyBCD to add W7 entry. Am I right? I'll try so, maybe it works so.

W7 bootmgr is 375k, W8 is 389k. Check that you've got the one you think.
If you have a full set of boot files on each partition (not likely on the same HDD unless you switched the active pointer before you installed the later OS), then you should be able to boot into W8 directly by flipping the active bit to it.

Last edited:
Back