Windows 8 RTM Released

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Download Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation

Visual Studio 2012 also available. Using RTM eval will give you a 90 day trial, but you have no option of upgrading to the real version thereafter.
Actual version available on MSDN and TechNet (though I haven't seen it for myself, no real inclination as yet).

Yes they are on there. I have seen them as I still have access to the MSDN and TechNet accounts, I just cant use them anymore. Sad I really want it to. *cries*

Oh well Oct and $40 lighter. :wink:

I downloaded the RC when it came out, installed it to a VM, and never actually used booted it.... >.<

I have installed the Enterprise Eval. I use Win8 almost exclusively. Just don't have MSDN/TechNet anymore. I gotta wait till Oct to get my copy like the rest of the world. :lol:

I honestly don't know why but I like it. 8UI and all. It just seems to work with me. Then again, I did have a Windows Phone and got used to the interface so much I mimicked it on my Android.

Enterprise version will have little to appeal to home users - it's more for developers. The Pro version is on Technet/MSDN and I have it installed on N:. Haven't done too much with it yet, apart from hack Windows Mail into it using the Windows 7 methods and added some software to give me my sacrosanct Start button and menu back on the desktop. Unfortunately a hack to make desktop open at boot is impossible I believe - blocked my M$.
Surprise, surprise, no Media Center as I believe they said we would have in Pro, at least not until October and then it will be at an extra charge, unless they relent in the meanwhile, of US $12.79 and will be obtainable through the "Add Features".
Enterprise version can't even have MC added at all.

The only good things I have to say about it so far is that it has a good sound scheme and looks pretty, oh and it boots fast. The bad is it's designed by boffins for use by boffins and M$ failed to listen to the criticism, I hope to their peril, and that they will learn from it.

Last edited:
I dont consider myself a boffin cause I use it. Just cause you dont like it, doesnt mean that the world shares your criticism of it. I am not wrong cause I prefer it over Win7 or even Win Vista. I know plenty of people that actually share my thoughts of it as well. We are not all wrong cause of our thoughts just cause they dont match up to yours.

I didn't say anyone was wrong, except perhaps MS as they should realize that not everyone has or even wants a touch screen which is what this system is really designed for.
Plus expecting people to remember literally hundreds of keyboard shortcuts is crazy.

Addendum

Got TV and FM working by installing WinTV from Hauppauge which I had long forgotten I had on a CD. Works fine but Media Center is better.

Hey people,

So its official price is $40? Thats truly a step in the right direction for Microsoft.

Also, have you guys tried outlook.com email? It's a mail Windows 8 stlye.

The $40 is for upgrades. That isnt the cost if you want to build a new PC and install Windows 8. They havent announced the new prices for the new Licensing.

Microsoft radically overhauls license agreements for Windows 8 | ZDNet

How can I use the software?

OEM

The software is licensed, not sold.Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one copy only on the computer with which you acquired the software (the licensed computer)...

RETAIL UPGRADE

We do not sell our software or your copy of it – we only license it. Under our license, we grant you the right to install and run that one copy on one computer (the licensed computer), for use by one person at a time, but only if you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Typically, this means you can install one copy of the software on a personal computer and then you can use the software on that computer.

PERSONAL USE LICENSE (SYSTEM BUILDER) FOR WINDOWS 8 PRO

We do not sell our software or your copy of it – we only license it.Under our license, we grant you the right to install and run that one copy on one computer (the licensed computer) as the operating system on a computer that you build for your personal use, or as an additional operating system running on a local virtual machine or a separate partition, subject to the restrictions outlined under “Are there things I’m not allowed to do with the software?”

I have an outlook.com email address. Then again, I am using Win8 so it doesnt seem much different to me. :wink:

Not I. Instead I chose to use my own email address and hacked Windows mail to work in 8 (same as in 7). I gather that one day my MSN.com address may be switched to outlook.com in any case, but I'll wait until then.

The $40 is for upgrades. That isnt the cost if you want to build a new PC and install Windows 8. They havent announced the new prices for the new Licensing.

Microsoft radically overhauls license agreements for Windows 8 | ZDNet

For a second I thought Microsoft had a future with Windows, this is the first time in my life that I think, even if Windows 8 is an amazing OS, its success might be questionable since you can get computers and systems for much less money. Linux is getting more serious, Mac OS is $20 for 5 computers, tablets with quad core processors under $200... I don't know, if they sell Surface for $800 they won't make a 'boom' in sales. If they sell Windows 8 for more than a $100 they might not get developers who make good money in mobile computing to develop for Windows again.. We'll see, I'm excited to see how market reacts..

The price if you are buying Windows 8 if you are not upgrading will be $69 until Jan 31st 2013, after that it will be $199. :smile:
It should do okay! :smile:

Back