Windows 8 System Reserved on the wrong drive

masplin

Schoolboy error installed Win8.1 on a new SSD without disconnecting my photo HD. Photo HD shows as system,Active is disk manager instead of SSD. Someone has suggested using EasyBCD to move the System Reserved to the new C: drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/209885-bootmgr-move-c-easybcd.html

Question is does this work in windows 8.1 as only reference I can see is Win7? My concern one day I will swap out my photo drive and wonder why i can no longer boot. It took me 2 days to do all my program installation so reluctant to start from scratch.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

so basically disconnect photo drive, insert the installation disk, boot from disk and chose repair your computer? sounds really simple!!!

sorry been away so only just got round to trying this. Initially drive was locked so ran diagnose and then it was unlocked. Tried the refresh and it just says drive cant be refreshed. Refreshing doesn't seem to be much of an improvement of re installing as all my programs and settings get wiped out?

I played around pretty extensively with win 8 installation dvd and disk repair option on it during my experiments getting Ubuntu and win 8.1. to dual boot on my laptop.

It is pretty much useless. In theory it can be used to repair an unbootable disk. In practice it falls short of the mark. I have had much more success with 3rd party tools. You might get this done by running a repair disk from some antivirus software.

So am I stuck with a complete reinstall of the OS in order to get the boot partition on the C drive or can I use EasyBCD as Terry said to move it?

Back