Windows 8 Ubuntu 12.10 Dual Boot on Dell Inspiron

eboats

Hello, I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my newly bought Windows 8 Dell Inspiron but when starting up, it just went to Windows 8 without giving me the option to start Ubuntu.

I installed EasyBCD and added GRUB2 entry to my boot list. When I restarted, I was given the choice to boot to Windows or Linux. When I selected Linux, I got an error saying File \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr - Required file is missing.

I was able to see the AutoNeoGrub0.mbr file on my C:\NST path though so not sure why I got that error.

How can I fix this?

Are you using the new graphical loader or the classic text based loader? If you use the graphical that is why. You need to turn Secure Boot off and UEFI off and then add your entry for Ubuntu.

Hello, I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my newly bought Windows 8 Dell Inspiron but when starting up, it just went to Windows 8 without giving me the option to start Ubuntu.

I installed EasyBCD and added GRUB2 entry to my boot list. When I restarted, I was given the choice to boot to Windows or Linux. When I selected Linux, I got an error saying File \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr - Required file is missing.

I was able to see the AutoNeoGrub0.mbr file on my C:\NST path though so not sure why I got that error.

How can I fix this?

I was able to finally get my Dell Inspiron to dual boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10, but I ended up using boot-repair on Linux, not EasyBCD. I can post what I did here, but since it's not EasyBCD-related, maybe that's not appropriate.

Back