Windows Boot Manager Error Message: Windows 10 & Windows XP

I have Windows XP on one hard drive and Windows 10 on another hard drive. I was able to boot either one by changing the boot order for the two hard drives in my BIOS.

I have now installed EasyBCD on my Windows 10 system and added Windows XP as my second option. When I boot I get the choices to load either Windows 10 or Windows XP. If I select Windows 10 it loads.

If I try and load Windows XP I get a black screen page: Windows Boot Manager. It wants me to try and repair my computer. The message is:

File: \\NST\ntldr
Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

What am I doing wrong?

Did you let EasyBCD auto-configure he XP entry then leave it alone !
EasyBCD knows what files need to be copied to the boot device to effect a successful dual-boot and how to construct the necessary chain.
New users often assume "it got the letter wrong" and "correct" the "error"
It didn't get anything wrong, but they've just corrupted the boot chain.

Did you let EasyBCD auto-configure he XP entry then leave it alone !
EasyBCD knows what files need to be copied to the boot device to effect a successful dual-boot and how to construct the necessary chain.
New users often assume "it got the letter wrong" and "correct" the "error"
It didn't get anything wrong, but they've just corrupted the boot chain.
No, I didn't change anything.

Delete the XP entry and add it again making sure the "automatically detect..." box is ticked.
If that doesn't fix the problem, post again with the contents of EasyBCD "view settings" (detailed mode") and a Disk Management screenshot.

You've got your BIOS set with XP as the boot drive.
Put W10 as disk 0 and hopefully everything will resolve.
If not, do the delete and add routine again

Sorry, I've no idea what went wrong there. I posted the previous reply yesterday but it somehow hung in limbo till your bump post and I found it sitting there waiting.
Never seen that happen before.

Ok, I need a little help here. How do I "Put W10 as disk 0?" Do I do something in my BIOS, or do I do something in Disk management, or is this something I do in EaseBCD?

Change the boot priority in the BIOS so that the system defaults to booting from the W10 drive.

The bottom line: I can now dual boot!
First, up to tonight, everything that I have done has been with the Windows 10 drive as the first drive encountered in the BIOS boot order.

Let me explain my steps tonight:
  1. I reversed the boot drive order. Only windows XP option came up, and I could boot into Windows XP
  2. I then change the boot order back to the original order, with Windows 10 the first drive in the BIOS (as before). Both Windows version options came up (nice Windows 10-type screen, as before).
  3. I tried to boot into Windows XP, and that failed same as before.
  4. I then restarted and booted into Windows 10. I opened EaseBCD and Reset BCD Configuration. I then rebuilt the boot sequence: Windows 10 the first (C:smile: drive, and Windows XP the second (D:smile: drive (see files)
  5. I restarted the computer. This time an "old fashion" Windows XP-type screen came up with the options to start Windows 10 OR Windows XP.
  6. Both versions now work.
I have attached the current version of the same three files, as before. There are some differences. Maybe they make sense to you.

Thanks so much for your help Terry. I will buy EaseBCD.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-24 191707.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 191707.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 191940.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 191940.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 192510.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 192510.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 4
The reset BCD seems to have removed whatever was corrupted.
You'll notice now that EasyBCD lists "EasyBCD boot device" rather than straight boot device which indicates that it's built the necessary files for chaining XP on the W10 system.
I don't know what you did originally to stop it working straight out of the box (It's normally completely painless), but you've pre-empted what I would have suggested to try next with the reset, so happy to see that you're OK now.
EasyBCD is free for home use, so no obligation or need to buy a commercial licence.
Tick the "metro" box on the edit boot menu screen if you want the W10 GUI bootmgr menu back.

I decide to buy EasyBCD instead of a donation, but haven't done anything with it yet.

I ticked the "metro" box on the edit boot menu screen" as you suggested, But I now have a new problem:
When I restart I still get the "old fashion" start-up screen. I can boot into Windows XP, but selecting the Windows 10 option leads ultimately to Windows Boot Manager wanting me to "repair your computer."
Info: After multiple tries, the OS on your PC failed to start, so it needs to be repaired.

I put in my installation disk and tried to repair, but failed.

Do you have any suggestions for what to do next?

Ticking that box hasn't changed the contents of the BCD, just changed which version of the bootmgr is using it.
If unticking the box doesn't put you back where you were, then something is fundamentally wrong.
I'm still concerned by your assertion that your BIOS has the W10 drive 1st in the boot sequence, but it doesn't show as Disk 0 which it should.
Can you post the the same stuff as before, but this time while you're booted into XP.

Getting a little complicated:
"If unticking the box..." Easy BCD is located in Windows 10, and I can't boot to it.
I have attached Windows XP Computer Management photo. Since EasyBCD is not on the Windows XP program, I can't provide the other stuff.
I have an image backup from several days ago. I could restore it, which would overwrite the boot settings. Then I could start over. I thought there might be something more elegant to try.
Would installing EasyBCD in Windows XP, and working in the other direction be feasible?
Is there some program that would repair the boot settings?

Attachments

• XP.jpg
    XP.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1
You can call EasyBCD from W10's HDD even though it's not installed on XP.
I have it as a portable program on a data drive with a shortcut on each system.
It doesn't need to be reinstalled on the other system. Although it uses the normal Windows installation program it does't register itself so it's not dependent on the host OS to run. Just execute it from where you installed it.

Last edited:
Perhaps in a related vein (fingers crossed Terry has enough insight to be helpful), I installed EasyBCD to create and dual boot for Win10 and Linux Mint. All seemed well until I tried to boot Windows and I got the following message:
File: \BCD; Status: 0xc0000098; ''no valid file information''. Can you help me correct this? Many thanks in advance, Greg.

What did you do with EasyBCD ?
This is how to use it

Back