'Windows could not update boot configuration' - FIX

SquareFeet

Hi all,

Just registered here so I can share something I found out just now, and maybe help some people out if anyone's had/having the same problem.

I decided to reinstall Vista 32bit after making my old install cluttered, slow, and full of rubbish. I dual boot 32bit and 64bit editions of Vista using EasyBCD (love it, so useful). So I set about repartitioning my free space on my three HDDs, and got a setup I liked. Copied over the files I wanted to keep from my 32bit edition, booted into 64bit edition and started the install process. Which is when I got this error, right after it finished 'Extracting Files':

'Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot continue.'

So I googled the message and all I found was a load of threads about upgrading from XP. Not much use really.

The Fix (assuming you boot from the DVD):
After you get this message (hopefully you never will, it's frustrating), restart the installation, and choose 'Repair'. Select the drive/partition which you tried to install Vista on, and go ahead and repair it.
Next, restart the installation and finger's crossed it will have rewritten the MBR (so I understand, feel free to correct me) for that drive/partition, and it will let you continue.

Maybe I'm alone in finding this problem a real issue, but I spent a good few hours researching and reading around it, until eventually I thought it might be an EasyBCD problem (lucky it wasn't!) and ended up here and accidentaly solved it.

Hope this is useful for someone.

Hi all,

Just registered here so I can share something I found out just now, and maybe help some people out if anyone's had/having the same problem.

I decided to reinstall Vista 32bit after making my old install cluttered, slow, and full of rubbish. I dual boot 32bit and 64bit editions of Vista using EasyBCD (love it, so useful). So I set about repartitioning my free space on my three HDDs, and got a setup I liked. Copied over the files I wanted to keep from my 32bit edition, booted into 64bit edition and started the install process. Which is when I got this error, right after it finished 'Extracting Files':

'Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot continue.'

So I googled the message and all I found was a load of threads about upgrading from XP. Not much use really.

The Fix (assuming you boot from the DVD):
After you get this message (hopefully you never will, it's frustrating), restart the installation, and choose 'Repair'. Select the drive/partition which you tried to install Vista on, and go ahead and repair it.
Next, restart the installation and finger's crossed it will have rewritten the MBR (so I understand, feel free to correct me) for that drive/partition, and it will let you continue.

Maybe I'm alone in finding this problem a real issue, but I spent a good few hours researching and reading around it, until eventually I thought it might be an EasyBCD problem (lucky it wasn't!) and ended up here and accidentaly solved it.

Hope this is useful for someone.
Make sure you format your hard drive and the small partion other wise you will get that message

Back