Win7 is where I installed EasyBCD ver. 2.1 build 133
XP is on D:
In the root of D: I have three files:
Ntdetect.com
ntldr
boot.INI
I have the file In D:\Windows\System32\Ntoskrnl.exe
In the Boot.ini file on the XP partition I have:
; This boot.ini was automatically generated by NeoSmart Technologies' BootGrabber.exe
; Use EasyBCD from Download EasyBCD 2.1 - NeoSmart Technologies to manage your bootloader

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on C:\" /fastdetect

I do get the menu to select either win7 or XP.
When I choose XP I get the error above.

EasyBCDSettings.jpg
What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Docfxit

Last edited:
In EasyBCD you have XP showing on drive C:/ You need to edit that entry under the Advanced Settings section. I would delete it altogether and make a new entry and make sure you save the settings each time.

Get the latest released version of EasyBCD.
Have you been manually adjusting the BCD and the XP boot files ?
The unlettered drive is "system", that's where everything should be.
Your BCD points to C where it should be pointing to the "system" partition.
delete the XP entry, add it again (auto-configure) and don't change what's set up.

I downloaded/installed the latest version of EasyBCD. I deleted the XP entry and added it back in. It fixed the original error and it attempts to boot into XP now.
I let it auto create just like I did the first time. I didn't edit any entries. The settings screen looks identical.

View attachment 2065

I have a new problem. When it boots into XP it shows:
1. The Welcome screen.
2. A black screen with the cursor.
3. A window saying windows is starting up.
4. A black screen with the cursor.
5. A blue screen.
6. Windows Installer, Preparing to install. (It doesn't get past this to install anything)
7. Logging off.
8. It goes into a loop to #4.

I had Win7 and XP Pro installed on this machine. I created an image of XP. I re-installed Win7. That wiped out all partitions. I re sized the Win7 partition and restored XP. I ran EasyBCD from within Win7.

Do you have any ideas what I need to do to get XP running again?

Thank you,

Docfxit

I tried Method #3. I booted from a Win98 diskette and ran fdisk /mbr

The boot menu cam up just fine. I tried booting into XP. I got this error:
Windows Failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
File: \nst\ntldr
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

A similar error came up when I tried to boot into Win7.
I booted to the Win7 CD. I selected Enter on the first screen and chose repair on the second screen. It found something to repair. I chose to repair it and re-boot. I re-booted into Win7 and it looks good.

While in Win7 I started EasyBCD. I edited the boot menu. I deleted the XP entry. I selected save. I added the XP entry allowing it to auto create. I went to advanced and saved it again. I booted into XP. The boot started and then repeated the same loop as before. This didn't get me any place.

Thanks,

Docfxit

Addendum:

I'm trying to use SavePart.exe

In the screen Choose element where Windows is installed
I chose Disk number 0
In the screen Choose element where Windows is installed
I chose Main part 3 Docfxit XP
In the screen Please give directory where Windows is installed
I chose Windows
In the screen Choose element to modify into registry
I chose Disk number 0
In the screen Choose element to modify into registry
I chose Main part 3 Docfxit XP
In the scree Drive letter to affect to this partition
This is where I don't understand what it wants. I tried D: The machine has the same problem of looping. I tried C: The machine still has the same problem.
I'm not sure if this drive letter is supposed to be the drive XP is showing in Win7 which is D: or something else. What drive letter should it be?

Thanks,

Docfxit

Last edited:
You need to set the XP registry to what XP used to call itself.
It doesn't matter what W7 calls it. That's just an entry in its registry, nothing to do with XP.

I'm not sure I understand what letter that is. When I would boot up with XP the root would be C:.

Is that what you are talking about?

Thanks,

Docfxit

OK. You've tried C and it didn't work, and since your problem was a loop rather than a hang, It would seem that the problem is different (worse) than just a schizophrenic registry.
It sounds like your image/restore has ended with a corrupt XP. Have you tried a repair install (upgrade inplace) from your XP CD ?

I finally got it to boot into XP. The root is now E: which should be C:. I ran SavePart and modified the registry to C:. It didn't work. It's still E:.

What will change it from E: to C:?

Thanks,

Docfxit

Is it running properly as E now ?
If so, trying to change it to C will break it.
Did you repair install ?

Thanks for the reply...

Is it running properly as E now ?
If so, trying to change it to C will break it.
Did you repair install ?

XP came up with a few error windows. None of the icons work. I didn't test out a lot. When I did a repair install a drive came up with C: as the root. Non of the programs would run E: had the correct root folders. After that I hid the first partition and restored XP from the backup once again. Now it's back in the loop. I sent in a tech support email to the company that makes the backup software. (Macrium Reflect) Maybe they have some wise fix.

Thanks,

Docfxit

Back