Windows Search 4.0 released

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Windows Search just got better. Windows Search 4.0 is now available for download. With it you can expect better indexing performance, support for the remote query of shared index locations, per-user group policy settings, and more. To try it out, select from the following operating environments:

Download Links:

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Server 2003
Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista x64 Edition
Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP
Multilingual User Interface Pack for Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP

Source: In House

Disabling "Search" was the first thing I did after installing Vista.
I hate it when an OS spends more time using my PC than I do !

I did at first. But then i left my PC go for a day after adding everything to the indexing. IT has not jumped up at all since. My whole PC is indexed and when i search i get almost instant results. When i have to search as i know where every file is anyways. :wink:

But i find the Search useful with my emails and Outlook 2007.

I hardly ever search for anything. On the one or two occasions a year when I want to find which folder windows has hidden a particular file in, I don't mind waiting 30 seconds. All that overhead to save a minute a year isn't worth it to me. (and think of all the wear and tear on my disk heads I've saved,not to mention electricity)
My email either gets kept in a big tree of folders per company, organization or person, or deleted when I've read it, so I always know where all that is too.
I spent ages getting rid of all the PCHealth, Dr Watson and such related junk that ME used to fill my system with. It was never once of any use, and I've no idea why the system kept doing it, when it never used the output for anything except an attempt to fill my C:\ disk with Temp files.
MS seem to have a philosophy, "the system's idle, let's think of something to do with it", whereas mine is "I've finished what I'm doing, stop using electricity !"

I have ~850GB total disk space, 80% of which is used up - I don't know what I'd do without Windows Search!

If I were a developer CG, things would probably be a lot different. My system is static compared to yours.

Good point :lol:

TBH, I spent a year or so with search disabled until I got my new PC (3.2GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM) - the old one just couldn't handle it.

My system's new enough to handle it. I just have an irrational dislike of the OS treating my hardware like its property. (Grumpy Old Man syndrome)
I like software to be a tool for me to use, not have a mind of its own and try to second guess what it thinks I might like.
(My digital TV recorder had to have all the "I think you might like to see this" features turned off before it drove me mad. It actually managed to record something I didn't want in preference to one of the things I'd asked for, because they clashed and I wasn't around to veto it !)

Last edited:
Back