Windows Update possibly causing boot loader and VSS issues???

ms_guy99

Hi,
I came home from a business trip to find out my desktop running Vista was not loading Windows. I couldn't even access the safe mode. After doing some Google searches I found the recovery disk here. [BIG THANKS for disk and ultra clear directions!!] I tried a couple of system restores but they all failed. They were all from 15 May 2010 and later. I can admit, I did a mass (honestly...quite a large mass) of updates on the 15th. Typically I don't fall behind on those but on this system I did. I can't even tell you if SP1 was one of the updates or not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Overall, I eventually gave up on system restore and did the option above that...complete name I can't recall but had to do with boot repair I think. Once I ran that and reviewed the log the only issue identified was boot manager failed to find the OS loader. I let it repair it and have been able to start up Windows.

I then proceeded to check system restore. I got the error message about Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working. Some more searched and I found the post about going into the Standard tab in the services.msc and changing from manual to automatic. I started system restore again and got the same error message. At the bottom it says to turn system restore on and adjust other settings open system protection. Once I open that I get the following error message: There was an unexpected error on the property page. The volume hsadow copy service used for system restore is not working. ...event log... Please close the property page and try again. I do notice under the system protection tab in the automatic restore points window where it says available disks the only thing listed is searching...

I then go to the event viewer. Let me preface this by saying I have never been there before and am quite shocked by all the events on the Administrative Events log going as far back as 2008...which seems about when I had the Vista installed. I don't know if 22, 745 is a lot?? Any way looking at the most recent events and focusing on VSS events: I see the following errors listed multiple times:

1. VSCS (volume shadow copy service) error: unexpected error calling routine cocreateinstance 0x80040206, [0x80070005 indicated in earlier ones]
  2. VSCS information: the COM server with CLSID and name coordinator cannot be started
  3. VSC Error: An error 0x8000ffff was encountered while trying to initialize the registry writer. This may cause future shadow copy creations to fail

There is also the following multiple times:

1. For Event System: The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007005 from line 45 of ......... Please contact MS Product Support Services to report this error
Ok..I must have tried the updates around the 17th cause there are a bunch of errors and warnings for that date. Like:

1. Windows servicing failed to complete the process of changing update 973768-13 neutral_package from package KB973768 (update) into staging (staging) rate
  2. Windows servicing identifed that package KB972145 (Update) is not applicable for this system.
  3. Windows Servicing required reboot to complete the process of changing update .........PACKAGE from package....into resolving (resolving) state
  4. Installation failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error ..........:Name of Update (38 of these)
Overall....5680 varieties of the above three messages occurring from 5/17/2010 12:08:46am-11:11:48 am.

And last confession....a few months ago I tried to make a backup repeatedly....but the program kept crashing. Unfortunately I do not have the error message. I was making back-ups on to DVDs and got to about DVD #7 or 8 when issues would come up. I never did try to resolve the issue and figured I would deal with it one day.

So does anyone know what the problem is? Is it something I can resolve on my own or is the system a total loss? Should I shut down my computer and take it somewhere to get my data backed up?

THANKS!!!!

You also need to enable/set to auto-start MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service. Now go to system properties to enable system restore if its disabled, but only for the system drive (c:\).

Last edited:
Still not working...

Ok I followed your advice and made MS Software Shadow Copy Provider automatic and then started it. Tried to set a system restore point and got the same error message:

There was an unexpected error in the property page.

The Volume Shadow Copy Service used by System Restore is not working. For more information view the event log. (0x81000202)

Please close the property page and try again.

Here are the messages in the event log:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80070005.
Operation:
Instantiating VSS server

and

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and name Coordinator cannot be started. [0x80070005]
Operation:
Instantiating VSS server

Any suggestions? Overall it seems like the computer is working fine and since we really don't have the finances to replace it now I am hoping you will tell me our data is safe and will continue to be accessible in the long run....but it seems like we will not be able to back it up or have restore points....which I do not know we will feel comfortable with that.

THANKS!!!

Good Day All,
I have been away for a while but everything is the same, if not worse with the computer. I did got out and get an external drive to back up some files. I did not back up the entire disk as I was concerned that the current issues would also be saved. I did copy the user files, program files, and program data files. I am sure I am missing some other functional files but at least have all of our personal files.

As much as I would like to I can not do a system restore. Every time I do I get the following error message: System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system. The Volume shadow copy service used by the System Restore is not working. For more information view the event log (0x81000202)

And of course I can't restore because next is greyed out.

In the system properties, system protection tab, where it shows automatic restore points, and under available disks it just says searching.... and it never changes.

When I try and get to the system property page I get the following error message: There was an unexpected error in the property page: The volume shadow copy service used by restore is not working. For more information view the event log. (0x81000202). Please close the property page and try again.

And finally, my hard drive is partitioned, came that way, with the D drive being 8.55GB for restore points...I assume. I now notice there is only 568MB free...have no idea what is taking all the space but when I try to see I get: Warning this area of your hard drive contains files for your PC recovery...etc....and I can't access them.

Just for verification, when I do go to the Services tab MS Software Shadow Copy Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are both listed is started and automatic.

Is there anything else to do besides uninstalling Vista and installing it again??

THANKS!!!

Last edited:
That partition will be the OEM recovery/restore facliity, provided to let you "factory reset" the PC.
Your user manual should tell you how to use it.
Different OEMs use different methods to access it (set D2D in the BIOS then Alt+F10 for Acer)
Like this for HP.
Now you have your personal files safe and sound, you can safely do so and be amazed at how much faster your PC suddenly becomes, freed of years of clutter and accumuating glitches.

...sad day...did a complete re-install....now have to add in all programs. I am more upset that the problem is unknown then the need to do the re-install! Thanks for all your help!

Mostly, problems can be circumvented, but sometimes nothing else than a complete fresh start will help.
Sorry you've had to start from square one, but on the bright side, your personal stuff is safe, and now you can look through that list of fifty installed apps, work out which forty never actually got used, and ditch them, and your PC will be twice as fast as you remembered.

Back