Windows Vista 64 bit repair disk is not working

jnbutler

I am able to boot the CD, then I get the Windows is loading files... and the progress bar gets about 3/4 of the way and stays there for about 3 minutes, then the following error message is displayed:
"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer."
"This error can be caused by unplugging a removeable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty" "hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your" "computer."
"If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer. "

"Status: 0xc00000e9"
"Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred."

I have tested the hard drive with the built in comprehensive tester in the bios setup and the hard drive tested ok.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, the MS repair disc checks the HDD as it boots and can be affected by whatever problem caused the PC boot failure too.
Did you just apply Windows Updates ?
If so, and the problem was caused by WUD, you can get one-to-one free support from MS

I should have explaned why I was using the repair disk, sorry.
I had a Linux partition on this laptop and dual boot with grub.
Using GParted Live CD I deleted the Linux partition and unfortunately, haha, the boot partition also, and made my Vista partition the original size again.
I did some research and I probably need to set the Vista partition as active again and then it may work. I will do that when I get off work later and see if that allows me to run the repair disk to fix the mbr.

Well, the Vista partition already had the flag set to boot, so, it may be unfixable at this point.
I will try to get my data off of it with the ubuntu live CD.

I really doubt that it is "unfixable". If all you did has been mentioned, then the partition should be intact. Try running Startup Repair several times, or using bootrec.exe from the DVD or recovery environment.

Back