Windows Vista boot error

Philster

Hi members, I am new to the forum, and I wouldnt be asking this if I hadnt searched online for the answer already. I cant seem to find a case quite like mine. The problem is:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

File: \Boot\BCD

info: an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Ok, so thats what comes up, and according to most people that had this problem they say to enter the OS disc, which I did (my original Vista installation disc) and nothing happens the same screen comes up. So I tried the F8 function to get the options up to boot and still nothing, it made the noise when pressing it but didnt come up. Same screen over and over.

I could really use some help, thanks for any info.

Phil.

Hi Phil, welcome to NST.
Intercept the boot at the 1st splash screen, to enter the BIOS setup utility before it attempts to boot an OS. (there should be an instruction on the screen like hit "del" or one of the Function keys).
Once you're in there, navigate to the boot page(s) and make sure your PC is set to boot from CD before HDD.
Then save the BIOS changes, put your DVD in the tray and boot again.
When prompted to "hit any key to boot from CD", do so and then follow the instructions to repair the Vista boot.

Hi Phil, welcome to NST.
Intercept the boot at the 1st splash screen, to enter the BIOS setup utility before it attempts to boot an OS. (there should be an instruction on the screen like hit "del" or one of the Function keys).
Once you're in there, navigate to the boot page(s) and make sure your PC is set to boot from CD before HDD.
Then save the BIOS changes, put your DVD in the tray and boot again.
When prompted to "hit any key to boot from CD", do so and then follow the instructions to repair the Vista boot.

Thank you for the speedy response, im actually on a mates computer, so I will try that when I get home and let you know if it worked.

Cheers, Phil.

Back