Windows Vista goes to "Startup Recovery Options"

fwayne

Sorry for length of this, but am trying to be as specific as possible about problem I am experiencing.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4656. I performed a lengthy Windows update after several months of not updating. Following Windows update, also updated McAfee Internet Security to version 2009. At next startup, Toshiba would not boot to Windows. Instead, went to “System Recovery Options” window/menu.

Have tried running Startup Repair several times. Each time same result – returns to “System Recovery Options” menu with no message of success or failure on repair. Have also tried System Restore for roll back. Message box appears indicating “The disk SQ004… (C:smile: has errors”, with “Check disk for errors” selection available. When this is selected, next window provides “Check disk options” which includes “Automatically fix file system errors” and ”Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”. Have run with only “Automatically fix file system errors” checked, with only ”Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors,” and with both checked. In each case, the progress bar advances to a certain point in processing , then returns to “System Recovery Options” window, again with no indication of success or failure. Have tried several different system restore dates, each with the same outcome.

Have tried “Step Three: Manually Repairing the Vista Bootloader” from neosmart.net site. Run “bootrec.exe /fixmbr” which returns message, “The operation completed successfully.” However, running next command, “e:\boot\bootrec.exe /nt60 all /force” returns message “The system cannot find the path specified.”

I have my original Toshiba “Recovery and Applications/Drivers” disc, and have booted from this as well, again with same outcome. I have downloaded the “Windows Disk Recovery Disk” from neosmart.net, following all instructions exactly and used it to boot as well, again with same outcomes.
Suggestions? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Fwayne, welcome to NST

Please post your debug bcd details and if you can get it a list of your disks and thier partitions. You can get this info from the command prompt:

bcdedit /v
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list part
exit

For the bootsect step, if you got EasyBCD installed in Windows and your Windows drive is C: from the command prompt, use:

cd /d "c:\program files\neosmart technologies\easybcd\bin"
bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

Last edited:
Bear with me as I know just enough to be dangerous (that's why I'm here, right ?)

Where do I find debug BCD details?

Re: other info, here is what I find. I hope it is what you are referring to.

Partition C: Windows Boot Manager
Partition C: Microsoft Windows Vista – path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Microsoft DiskPart version 6.0.6000 – on computer: MINWINPC
Partition 1 – Type: OEM Size: 1500 MB Offset: 1024 KB
Partition 2 – Type: Primary Size: 73 GB Offset: 1501 MB
Thanks for your assistance.

Wayne

Ok, I'm guessing you got that info from bartpe. If you can boot from a Vista dvd and enter the command prompt from the recovery options menu you get after you've clicked on "repair my computer" that well be helpful. From there you'll need to issue the above commands to get the full technical information we need.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or just not seeing what you are lloking for. When I startup, I select F12 and select the CD/DVD drive to boot from the Toshiba Recovery and Applicatons disk that came with my Toshiba.

When I enter the Command Prompt window and enter "bcdedit /v" I first get to Windows Boot Manager which lists identifier, device, description, locale, inherit, default, resumeobject, display order, toolsdisplayorder, timeout, connections, and custom.

I next see the Windows Boot Loader which lists identifier, device, path, description, locale, inherit, recoverysequence, recoveryenabled, osdevice, systemroot, resumeobject and nx.

Is any of this what is needed?

Wayne

Output from the above commands. The more detail, the better we can help you cause right now you're looking at a re-install of Windows unless we can spot whats wrong with it.

Here is the output from the commands
:
Windows Boot Manager
Identifier <9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795>
Device partition-C:
Description Windows Boot Manager
Locale en-US
Inherit <7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e>
Default <22c83301-9c1c-11db-afab-0016d42a45f8>
Resumeobject <22c83302-9c1c-11db-afab-0016d42a45f8>
Displayorder <22c83301-9c1c-11db-afab-0016d42a45f8>
Toolsdisplayorder <572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d>
<b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d>
Timeout 30
Customactions 0x1000000720001
0x54000001
Custom:54000001 <572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d>

Windows Boot Loadere
Identifier <22c83301-9c1c-11db-afab-0016d42a45f8>
Device partition-C:
Path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Description Microsoft Windows Vista
Locale en-US
Inherit <6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7>
Recovereysequence <572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d>
Recovereyenabled yes
Osdevice partition-C:
Systemroot \Windows
Resumeobject <22c83302-9c1c-11db-afab-0016d42a45f8>
Nx OptIn
Microsoft DiskPart version 6.0.6000
On computer: MINWINPC
List Disk returns:
Disk ### - Disk 0
Status – Online
Size 75GB
Free – 993 KB

List part returns:
Partition ### - Partition 1, Type OEM, Size 1500 MB, Offset 1024 KB
Partition 2, Type Primary, Size 73 GB, Offset 1501 MB

Thanks again, for your assistance on this.

Alright your identifiers look fine to me. Things to try:

bcdedit /set {22c83301-9c1c-11db-afab-0016d42a45f8} recoveryenabled no

If that doesn't work:

diskpart
select disk 0
select part 2
active
exit

From there your other options are following startup repair some more or the manual rebuild steps from the wiki. If that fails a re-install well be needed.

O.K., bcdedit /set {22c83301... returned "The operation completed successfully.." I ran the "Startup repair" option from "System Recovery Options" again several times. Withe same result of it returning to the "System Recovery Options" window with no indication of any change. I also restarted the computer and ran it again a few times, again with same rresult.

Can you point me to the rebuild wiki you referenced?

I have tried following this process (didn't initially realize it was what was being referenced)

When I run “bootrec.exe /fixmbr” it returns message, “The operation completed successfully.” However, running next command, “e:\boot\bootrec.exe /nt60 all /force” returns message “The system cannot find the path specified.”

I have my original Toshiba “Recovery and Applications/Drivers” disc, and have booted from this as well, again with same outcome. I have downloaded the “Windows Disk Recovery Disk” from neosmart.net, following all instructions exactly and used it to boot as well, again with same outcomes.

I know the pages states "Warning the instructions below assume that the program bootsect.exe is present on the booted Vista recovery disk. It was included on earlier distributions of Vista, but was subsequently omitted. If your DVD contains a copy in the boot folder, the instructions can be followed as listed" How do I determine if the program "bootsect.exe exists on my "Recovery and Applications/Drivers" disk?

Thanks

For bootsect you'll need to obtain it elsewhere. Its not included on the recovery disc :frowning:

If you got EasyBCD installed on that machine, use:

cd /d "c:\program files\neosmart technologies\easybcd\bin"

If not install EasyBCD on another machine and get the file from that location, copy it to a usb drive, and use "cd /d x:" where x: is anything from a: to z: for drive letters and "dir" until you verify you're looking at the contents of your flash drive. Assuming its on the root of the flash drive, simply use:

When I find bootsect.exe on the jump drive, do I need to try copying it to the PC, or am I just running it from the jump drive?

O.K., ran bootsect.exe/nt60 all /force from jump drive. Following message was returned:

Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

C: <\\?\Volume<fb1e0845-28b3-11de-8858-806e6f6e6963>>
Successfully updated NTFS filesystem bootcode.
E: <\\?\Volume< fb1e0844-28b3-11de-8858-806e6f6e6963>>
Successfully updated NTFS filesystem bootcode.
F: <\\?\Volume< fb1e08d6-28b3-11de-8858-856094418278>>
Forced dismount complete, open handles to this volume are now invalid.

Successfully updated FAT32 filesystem bootcode.
Bootcode was successfully updated on all target volumes.

Do I now still need to run Startup Repair or just reboot and cross my fingers?

Startup repair won't hurt. You'll need to do it anyway if it isnt working so why not do it while you've got it up?

Last edited:
O.K., one more question while I continue running the Startup Repair. I had most of my files backed up, but there were a few things I missed getting. In the event that none of this works (gulp) can locate and copy files/directories from the Command Prompt window before I do a re-install of Vista?

O.K., one more question while I continue running the Startup Repair. I had most of my files backed up, but there were a few things I missed getting. In the event that none of this works (gulp) can locate and copy files/directories from the Command Prompt window before I do a re-install of Vista?
Yes, you can use xcopy to copy any files you want. Run
Code:
xcopy /?
in the Command Prompt for a list of things you can do with the tool, and which parameters to use.

Back