Windows Vista/Server 2008 FirstDefense ISR Compatibility

varg_74

Ok, I installed windows server 2008, with an already exisiting installation of windows server 2003 on another partition. it worked fine, no problems. now, the problem is, that over on my windows server 2003 install, i use a program called firstdefense isr, which allows me to keep different snapshots of program/os installs. i have an xp snapshot, a fresh server 2003 snapshot, etc. now if i uninstall first defense, the dual boot works fine, but with firstdefense installed, windows server 2008 gives a disk read error, and nothing works. I dont want to have to sacrifice my firstdefense isr for windows server 2008, and im wondering if this program will allow my to dual boot server 2003 and server 2008, while still being able to keep firstdefense isr installed. in essence, it seems that easyboot would need to "take away" the boot management from server 2008. any thoughts/advices are appreciated

Hi varg, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Here's what you'll have to do: install EasyBCD, use EasyBCD | Bootloader Management | Reinstall Vista Bootloader

That'll remove firstdefense from the bootloader, but will leave your 2003-2008 dual-boot working fine.
After that, you need to boot into 2003 and tell firstdefense to reinstall the MBR/bootloader helper program.

Good luck.

Hey guru- thanks for the advice. I tried it, but it didnt work, I still got a disk read error on my first boot after installing firstdefense isr over on windows server 2003. What I did was:

Install server 2008 (server 2003 already existed)

On server 2008, I used easybcd to reinstall bootloader (why this was neccesary I don't know, since the server 2008 install had just created it)

Then I booted to server 2003, installed firstdefense isr, and then on next boot, disk read error.

Anyone have any idea how I might get this working?

thanks

I don't think you can - it sounds like FirstDefense is forcing its own complete rewrite of the bootloader based on the assumption that you're using NTLDR....

The correct way of doing it would be to inject their own bootloader code before the existing bootloader, then hook into it when done.

Sorry we can't help you any more than this.. If you contact the support at FirstDefense and point them to this thread they should be able to use this info to fix the problem (not really that difficult for them as the developers) and they can feel free to ask us anything else if they need..

Cheers.

Back