Windows Vista/Windows 7/Ubuntu

abcat

Distinguished Member
Hi,

My triple boot configuration
1st Partition Windows Vista
2nd Partition Windows 7
3rd Partition D:

I tried to triple boot and install Ubuntu on the D: partition using Wubi installer. During the restart, i manage to see the boot manager with 3 operating system. Both Windows Vista and 7 is ok, however, for the Ubuntu, I am able to load halfway, but it stucks on this part when doing partitioning.

It shows this error:
No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partition menu. Guided partitioning.

Previously without Windows 7, I am able to Dual boot with Windows Vista and Ubuntu, I wonder is it because of the Windows 7 issue?

Please advice :smile:

Hello abcat.
A Wubi install is meant to be installed inside your Windows partition, within a file called a "root.disk". Try installing it again, this time selecting either the Vista or the Win 7 partition as where to install it to, and it should work perfectly fine.

Hello abcat.
A Wubi install is meant to be installed inside your Windows partition, within a file called a "root.disk". Try installing it again, this time selecting either the Vista or the Win 7 partition as where to install it to, and it should work perfectly fine.
I tried in the Windows Vista partition and it also come up with the same error. As previously I am able to install it in another non OS partition without a problem. I am not sure whether is it Windows 7 partition that causes this problem.

You can get help with your problem at the General Help section of the Ubuntu forums. I have not had a lot of experience with Wubi. I used it for about a month, and then transferred my Wubi install to a dedicated partition with LVPM, and have been using my transferred version ever since. I'm willing to guess though your problem is another bug with Wubi in dealing with Win 7 that has not been dealt with yet. I am subscribed to the launchpad.net site used by the Wubi developers for reporting and dealing with bugs, and I get a lot of emails frequently when someone reports a new bug, or responds to an existing one, and I must say I have got quite a few lately of people who are having trouble using Wubi with Win 7. I can't say why that is, perhaps its because Win 7 handles things a bit differently than older versions of Windows, but if I were you, rather than go through all the hassle of waiting for your problem with Wubi to be fixed, just install Ubuntu to a dedicated partition, which will be better in the long run anyway. Its not that hard to resize your main partition, and create a new one out of the free space with Gparted, and use it to install Ubuntu on. I would recommend reporting the bug anyway though if you decide to do this, so the Wubi people will look at the problem, and hopefully address it.

Cheers.

Jake

Back