Windows Vists bootmgr

Hi there,

I'm trying to get my computer up and running again, it's an HP G50 laptop with Windows Vista.

I have received the "bootmgr" is missing message and so I went to fix that. However, I do not have a Windows CD from which to fix this issue. I found your information about downloading the .iso and burning it onto a CD so that I could use it to fix the problem.

I did all of that and burned the CD, using it to boot the computer. That part worked. However, the fix did not seem to work. As it went through repairing, it did not fix the computer at all. It does not even recognize the Windows installation - it cannot find them. It tells me to select a location from which to install thr hard drive drivers, but I cannot do that. I have three locations to choose from, C: (Local Disk), D: (HP_RECOVERY), and X: (Boot)

It goes through and attempts the repairs.
After doing this, it comes back with the following:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
ProblemSignature02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 0
Problem Signature 04: 65537
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: MissingBootManager
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 2
Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
Problem Signature 10: 21
OS Verxion: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale D: 1033

I have tried to do this multiple times, after having read that it may take several attempts to do an auto startup repair . . . always getting the same results. I don't want to have to format this computer if I don't have to, especially since I don't have a disc from which to to this from. What can I do to get this going without having to do that?

If you have multiple HDDs, disconnect the others before attempting the repair.
If you only have one, make sure the "system" partition is marked "active" first.

Hmmm . . . How do I do that? Make sure the system partition is marked active. I know some ins and outs of a computer, but I'm not good enough to know how to do something like that.

Back