Windows XP doesnt install

Ok, will do. Lets say itll do the repairing, would you recommend doing a full format before attempting the installation again?

Hi,

Well WIN7 recovery couldnt find any errors so didnt repair. After that I tried XP recovery but again didnt repair anything.
Did a full format straight after that but got the same installing prob. I suppose an install on the external drive is my best bet now.

Honestly that might not help either. I would try a different XP Media. After running chkdsk and doing a full format there is absolutely no reason for this to happen. The only thing it can be is either the disk is scratched and not copying files overs properly, or the media itself is modified in such a way that it cant boot afterwards.

In fact, XP cannot be installed on the external drive at all. It needs to be on a HDD connected to a controller is what the message was.
So for now.. no XP.

Thanks a lot all you guys for helping me out. One of the finer online cooperations Ive witnessed :smile:

Good day!

Resurrection time:

Today I had the chance to try another XP cd-rom but the same error occurs: cannot load OS.
This rules out the faulty media possibility. So would one conclude that the HD is bad?

Before installing I wrote down the fixboot command in case of trouble and so I entered it from the WIN7 recovery console. That appeared to be succesful however, rebooting Windows 7 now fails. Message: Verifying DMI pool data. Googling doesn't give any definitive solutions. Because I had terrific help before I came back here for possible solutions.

What I have done so far:

-cleared cmos (did not take out the battery yet)
-completely powered of the PSU (did not unplug other hardware yet)
-loaded fail-safe settings at bios

Could you help me out here?

Thanks again guys!

Addendum:

Thank god. It's fixed. I think I forgot trying to boot from the cd-rom which than allowed me to enter bootrec/fixboot. Aaaaah. Relieve! Still, I would like to ask again if you think my HD is somehow corrupted as it let's me install Windows 7 but fails to install XP.

Last edited:
Please forget about the previous post. I do not believe it is a HD failure although there is no proof.

New situation:

The XP files have been copied to E: which is a fresh full formatted partition.
I created a WinXP entry with EasyBCD and had it auto detect the drive. When I get to the bootmenu XP returns this message:

invalid boot.ini file
booting from c:\windows
ntdetect failed

I have seen this in other threads around here but to be honest I don't know what to do.

Help is again much appreciated. I won't give up:??

Last edited:
Ok, I put in some more work. New situation:

I have given the System Reserved partition the letter B: on which I created a folder NST with a self-made boot.ini and downloaded the neccessary NTdetect and NTDLR to it. A copy of this folder is on the XP partition E:

Boot.ini looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 7" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Still I get the same error message: invalid boot.ini file

Now I wonder, is the System Reserved partition, partition 1? I tried configuration 2 and 4 as well but gives the same error.

Important note is that XP still did not manage to fully install. Could this be the problem? I am hoping that installation will continue once it wouldn't give me the above error message anymore.

Another important note is that when I create a new entry in EasyBCD and let it auto-configure XP it points to B: which is good I think. Then when I restart EasyBCD it no longer shows drive B: but

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {9a8c04ca-8fca-11df-8189-a8969df79945}
Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Bootloader Path: \NST\ntldr

Is this strange?

Any help much much appreciated!

Last edited:
I replied some time ago, but that seems to have been a victim of the server downtime/restore.
You can't boot Vista/7 from NTLDR.
There shouldn't be any OS later than XP in boot.ini
Get rid of the W7 line and change the default line back to XP's partition.

Thanks Terry :smile:

Edit: Done all I could but no solution. I give up. I will buy another HD and will install XP first then Win7. Hopefully it will work that way.

Last edited:
If you have a successful install of XP after Vista/7, you should have no problems dual-booting, so long as you restore the later system's boot process.
The sticky thread should have links to all the information you need for a successful outcome.

Well, to conclude things for the moment I am sticking to XP only. It just matches my old system a lot better. And for future reference with regard to the XP install not completing after first reboot, this has been solved! I wholeheartedly recommend doing a format with a proper disktool for example supplied by the harddisk manufacturer. I had it write zero's to the harddisk and that did the trick! :brows:

Last edited:
Back