Windows XP in boot loader

ebonySCYTHE

Alright. I have a laptop that previous had Windows XP installed on it. Recently I installed Windows 7 (I'm not going for a dual boot here) and when I boot the computer the bootloader shows up on startup with two options: Windows 7 and Windows XP.

I installed EasyBCD and expected to delete the second entry, however EasyBCD only has one entry in the menu, the Windows 7. What's going on here?

I also tried to set he Windows 7 entry as the default and it hasn't worked. I'm not at all familiar with Windows 7 and bootloaders in general. Can anyone help me get rid of this "ghost" Windows XP boot option?

Let me know what additional information you need.

Sounds like you were going for an upgrade and W7's installer didn't wipe out all the files on the disk. If its not showing up in EasyBCD it is likely an entry in your boot.ini file. Delete this file from the partition to get rid of it. You may need to enable viewing of hidden and protected OS files in folder options to find this file. If the file doesn't exist go to Useful Utilities > EasyBCD Power Console, type "bcdedit", and post the contents here plus a screenshot of disk management.

Last edited:
I did a search and only found a boot.ini.backup file. I deleted it and didn't have any results.
Here's the text your requested:

C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>bcdedit
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {a6e6f38f-38ac-11df-843f-9e35b28abe59}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 60
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {a6e6f391-38ac-11df-843f-9e35b28abe59}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {a6e6f38f-38ac-11df-843f-9e35b28abe59}
nx OptIn
C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>

and here's the screen the disk management: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w249/ebonyscythe/Misc/screen1.png

It sounds like your PC is using one BCD store and EasyBCD another. Try doing Diagnostics | Reset BCD.

Make sure you're using the latest 2.0 build.

Justin, you can just ask for the contents of "Detailed Mode"

It sounds like your PC is using one BCD store and EasyBCD another. Try doing Diagnostics | Reset BCD.

Make sure you're using the latest 2.0 build.

Justin, you can just ask for the contents of "Detailed Mode"

I reset the BCD and restarted. The same bootloader came up with the two options for Windows 7 and Windows XP. I checked EasyBCD again and the one entry listed is now named Windows Vista (by default I'm sure) and that is definitely not what I saw when I loaded up my computer.

I'm using EasyBCD 1.7.2; this is the latest, correct?

This seems very weird. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Ah, okay, now I have EasyBCD 2.0 installed. Still, only one entry showed up so I went to BCD install/repair and reset the BCD configuration.

This deleted the entry (that was labeled Vista) and I added a Windows 7 entry. However, a reboot still showed those two entries (windows 7 and Windows XP).

So now that I'm using the right build, anyone else have an idea?

Thanks

What do I do if it tries to boot into Windows XP? I get an error and have to restart when that happens, and I haven't been able to make Windows 7 my default. It defaults to boot into windows XP.

Have you previously had another boot-loader app, or a Linux install that's left a foreign MBR ?
Can you definitely identify the boot menu as W7's or if not, get a screenshot of the boot menu with a digital camera.
Try Bootloader Setup Install Vista/7 bootloader to rewrite the MBR and start from scratch.
If that doesn't work, boot the W7 DVD and "repair your computer " "startup repair" 3 times

Back