windows xp only boots in dual boot with vista

arulchand

hi all,
i have a laptop acer4920.it had vista in c: drive. i installed xp in d: drive with a bootable xp cd,after xp had installed it gets boot only xp, i couldn't boot vista. now i decided to uninstall xp
and continue to use with vista. how can i do this.any body can advise me what i have to do for this.
thanks,
arul

Welcome to NST Arul,
You don't need to uninstall XP. It's just that XP, being older, doesn't know about Vista so it has overwritten Vista's bootloader with its own which has no option to enter Vista..
All you need to do is repair Vista's bootloader, and Vista will see that you've now got an XP system too and create a dual boot menu for you.
The easiest way to do this if you have one, is to boot from a Vista DVD and select "repair startup" when it asks you. That should be all you need to do (maybe twice if the first time doesn't complete the job)

Or if you don't have a bootable Vista DVD, you can follow the instructions here
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Installing+XP+After+Vista
to reinstate the Vista bootloader from XP.

Post back if you don't understand anything

yes sir i did it.

Welcome to NST Arul,
You don't need to uninstall XP. It's just that XP, being older, doesn't know about Vista so it has overwritten Vista's bootloader with its own which has no option to enter Vista..
All you need to do is repair Vista's bootloader, and Vista will see that you've now got an XP system too and create a dual boot menu for you.
The easiest way to do this if you have one, is to boot from a Vista DVD and select "repair startup" when it asks you. That should be all you need to do (maybe twice if the first time doesn't complete the job)

Or if you don't have a bootable Vista DVD, you can follow the instructions here
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Installing+XP+After+Vista
to reinstate the Vista bootloader from XP.

Post back if you don't understand anything

s i installed .NET FRAME WORK2.0 and then EBCD1.7. NOW IT WORKS both xp and vista.

thank you very much for your valuble suggesion Mr.TERRY60.

by arulchand.

Last edited:
Back