Windows XP: Reboot Cycling

Hello,

For the past week or two my computer, freshly installed, has been working perfectly, without any flaws. Then, starting last night at 9:30 PM, it started to apply an Office Update and then, crashed with no blue screen, I thought that this was normal until, I logged on and it rebooted again and again. I then turned automatic reboot off and got the blue screen, of course, that says the following...

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** Stop: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x89826698, 0x8982680C, 0x805D1206)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
Also, while I am in Windows itself, it redirected me to a page saying that McAfee was the problem, but I don't even have McAfee activated, it does not run on system startup. I must open it manually, by my choice.

I am certain that I do not have a virus because the computer only has programs from the store and has no internet access, I am still working on finding the correct driver, for the card that I have not put in.

Please help in a fair amount of time.

Update: I would like to add that it is perfectly stable in Safe Mode, I can not run the programs that I need for school though.
Update: I am going to try and completely remove McAfee, since nobody seems to care about this problem
Update: McAfee was not the problem, I am going to try to cancel all of the queued updates

Last edited:
Use system restore (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore) and put the computer back a few days where it was working.

Use system restore (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore) and put the computer back a few days where it was working.

I would do this but I have school work that I need to print off, anyways I am sorry to say but, when I disabled automatic updates it stopped restarting, I guess that I just got a bad update, again.

Thanks for your help anyways.

Don't worry Daniel.
System restore, backs out system files, drivers etc, uninstalls new apps if they've caused a problem, but it doesn't touch user files. Your homework should be perfectly safe.
You need WUD enabled to keep Windows security up-to-date, so use system restore and it will take you back before the WUD that broke the system.
You can then reapply updates one at a time and if the same one breaks the system again, you can system restore before it, exclude it individually (provided it's not a vital security fix) and carry on.
Remember that WUD problems are the one area where MS gives free individual email/phone support, if you need help with a tricky update.

Last edited:
I re-enabled Windows Updates and then unchecked the one that was marked as corrupt, I have had no problems since.

I must have lost internet during the downloading of it, I just got the download from Microsoft's website and it was fine. The update was Service Pack 3.

Thanks for your help.

Back