Windows XP to Windows 7 migration

dslchiphead

I know there has been various themes on Windows XP to Windows 7 migration, but...

I recently installed/upgraded Windows 7 on my Windows XP PC. My thinking in doing this was not put it in the same location as Windows XP but into a new partition and then migrate over the user settings and applications. This will give me a fresh start since XP has been used for a very long long time with comes with a lot of crap.

The way I installed it is I resized and then partition the C:\ XP drive with the new partition becoming F:\. Windows 7 was installed in F:\. I then migraded all the application settings from XP to 7. So far so good. I am now done with Windows XP. I booted into Win7 and then used EasyBCD to move the Boot confguration over to the F:\ drive. Again, good to go. I then renamed the C:\ drive to G:\ using the Device Manager in WIn7 and again used EasyBCD to change the Windows XP boot partition from C:\ to G:\. (You may gather where I am going with this in that to make Windows 7 use the C:\ as it's drive.)

Everything boots and runs fine. When I boot Windows XP, the G:\ becomes C:\. But Windows 7 stays F:\. Since the F:\ is the System partition I can not rename F:\ to C:\.

Is there a way to make F:\ into C:\ under Window 7? I do understand that I have to use EasyBCD to adjust the boot parameters again. I will also have to go through manually changing all the Registry entries with any Data that references F:\ and change it to C:\ which I am not looking forward to! Can this be done or a better way to accomplish this?

Regards,

-Dave

Dave,

Its not possible to change the system's drive letter assignment on a healthy system without breaking it. To get Windows 7 to use drive C: letter assignment boot from Windows 7 DVD and re-install.

Hi Dave. Probably the easiest way to get both OSes to run as C:/ is to reinstall W7 with the XP partition (which I gather you assigned G:/) hidden with a 3rd party partition tool (such as Gparted), and the W7 partition set to "active". Doing it this way will have your new install of Win 7's boot files go to its own partition, then you can then simply use EasybCD 2.0 to add an XP entry, and auto-configure, and your dual-boot system will work with both OSes running as C:/, and the other OS partition being seen as something else from the running system.

Back