Windows XP will not start after "Security Essentials 2010" Virus removal

Giles1776

Hi,

I recently got the "Security Essentials 2010" virus on a Windows XP desktop computer and attempted to remove it. It is my work computer and we have a secure network. I was not on the secure network at the time and the computer did not have any Anti-virus or spyware blockers installed so it may have gotten in that way. I was on the internet and noticed Internet Explorer had locked up. I pulled the Internet cable hoping to stop any downloads but maybe not soon enough. I got all the popup warnings typical with the virus and it took over my desktop background.

I was able to download Spybot Search And Destroy and run it. Spybot removed the typical registry keys and files as far as I could tell. The one step I didnt do was stop the processes associated with SE 2010 before the run (I later found out how to stop them). I dont know if this was the big mistake or not. After running Spybot I restarted the computer and was not able to log back onto the computer normally or in Safe-Mode.

I then got a hard drive enclosure because I needed to get files off of the HDD in case I was not able to recover them later. I used my laptops Webroot Anti-Virus to scan the HDD (Laptop has Windows 7). It found 4 virus's and I removed them. Then I tried to start the computer again and it went straight to the safe-mode, screen as if I had pushed F8 even tho I hadn't. Picking any configuration the computer flashes to the Windows logo like it is starting and then restarts and I end up back at the same screen with the startup options.

I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran that on the HDD using my Laptop. It found two more items and I removed those with no change, it still goes to the same screen.
I have a Repair DVD from my Windows 7 OS and tried that on the computer with the broken XP. I got the Error below:

Root cause found:
---------------------------
Boot manager is missing or corrupt.

Repair action: File repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x15
Time taken = 0 ms

I don't know if this is due to the differences in the systems or if that is pointing to the cause. I do not have any Windows XP recovery or repair discs. The Windows 7 repair disc did not find any recovery/restore points on the HDD either.

Is this the reason that XP won't load or is there another problem I don't know of? I do have an older Laptop with Windows XP but it is slow and like I said old. Can I take any of the files from that and copy them onto the broken XP system? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Giles1776,

i am a German, so my english is very bad.
You can normaly not restor/repair your (old) OS with a DVD from a brand new and total ATHER/DIFFERENT OS.
If you have XP with SP3, you need as minimum a XP with SP2 -CD
If the "old" Laptop-Computer with the same OS and ServicePack, you can transfer "global same Parts" from one Computer to an ather Computer.

Normaly you need a XP-CD with SP2 or SP3 (like MS-Original or from a helping Friend).
I do not know the NeoSmart-"First Aid"-CD-funktion.
I have Backups, 2 AntiVir-Protection, Firewall, Router and my AntiVir-Programs protected me, if i go in danger areas, very fine.
If my system crashes, i can restor my systems with my Backup in restore function.
And i have a multi OS Computer, now only for Hobby, past for working.
OK, it is a Phobia, but must i work with my Computer for Money, food and Live, i need the maximum protection for my Computer.
Never i have trusted the "secure Net in Companys", never and this was god...
Well, what is to do now..
I think, in short time a "Guru" or ather "Angel" write here instruction for you.
Parallele you can try to organisate a XP-CD with SP2 or SP3 (it is possible, the Original-CD)
If your Computer a special Computer (like Mobil Computer, or Packard Bell or so), you need a XP-CD from the Computer Manufaktur Company.
With an "Computer-Crack-Friend" you can also boot an running XP from USB Stick, or a running XP from a CD (this are smal XP-OS, running in RAM) and so start up your Desktop Computer and with your "Friend" repair the missing bootmgr or save the needet Files.

The same is most possible with an EMERGENCY-BartPE-OS (i have an original WinPE-OS for emergency).

I know, this are in moment very much information for you.
You must think first what you will do, repair the OS or saving files.
If you like to install a fresh XP, remember all your License and Keys for activation your paying Programs.
First all Keys, favorites in Internet-Browser, Password, Computer-Name, IPs and so on and then a new install XP, it is importend, very importend!

You must remember each of your friends, know onesome buddy of there "Repair a non booting Computer"?
Lonesome with this (your) problem is very hard for you.

Greetings from Germany,

STRUPPI

If you've got your Windows XP disc perform a repair install following method 2 here.
This isn't a normal re-install, it only replaces the system files, and leaves your documents/programs intact.

I do not have a Repair or Recovery Discs for Windows XP, I forgot to mention that.

Is there any way to create a Repair disc from a computer that has XP on it? I am trying to avoid installing a new version of XP on this computer because of the hassle of finding all of the License's and Keys for the installed programs or losing any them.

Could the boot problem have been caused by putting the HDD into an enclosure? I don't know if this somehow put the system/HDD into a "Slave Mode" so that XP won't load.

Yeah, if you've changed the disk setup at all by placing something in an enclosure or changing the order sometimes Windows won't like this. Put it back the way it was when it was booting.

If you're still having problems... well... you can create an XP install disc from select systems, but its a matter of luck and patience following these instructions. At this point you might want to consider just upgrading to Windows 7.

check your BIOS to make sure you're still booting from the correct HDD.
(taking HDDs out and replacing them, causes the boot sequence to change)
If you have IDE HDDs jumpered to "cable select", then replacing a HDD on a different connector (middle, not end) can stop it from booting.
You must either jumper a pair of HDDs on an IDE connector as master and slave (that can't change by accident), or both as "cable select", in which case the end drive is master (drive 0) (and the one you must boot from) and the middle one, slave (drive 1)

Last edited:
check your BIOS to make sure you're still booting from the correct HDD.
(taking HDDs out and replacing them, causes the boot sequence to change)
If you have IDE HDDs jumpered to "cable select", then replacing a HDD on a different connector (middle, not end) can stop it from booting.
You must either jumper a pair of HDDs on an IDE connector as master and slave (that can't change by accident), or both as "cable select", in which case the end drive is master (drive 0) (and the one you must boot from) and the middle one, slave (drive 1)

Terry,

The hard drive I put in the enclosure is a SATA type. What I am wondering is if by putting it in the enclosure it changed the HDD some how. If I check the BIOS, what do I need to look for. I have never fooled around with it before?

Thanks,
Giles

They're all similar but not identical.
Like a nostalgia trip back to the early DOS PCs of the 1980's
Some you might need to navigate using the arrow keys, esc and "enter", some newer ones include mouse support.
Find how to get in there (your splash screen should contain instructions, like " hit "del" to enter setup" on the first screen you see as you power up.)
Follow the instructions till you find yourself back in time.
Then you just need to look around for the "boot" section, which will probably be a tree structure. The top level saying which type of device takes precedence, floppy/usb/cd/hdd.
You need to drill down into the HDD section, where you'll find all your devices. Make sure the one you want to boot from is moved to the top of the list, then work back to the home page, and "exit with save changes".
Don't worry about messing things up. Look around at all the options. If you accidentally make changes (not likely) and can't remember what you've done, an "exit without saving changes" will fix things.

The hard drive I put in the enclosure is a SATA type. What I am wondering is if by putting it in the enclosure it changed the HDD some how. If I check the BIOS, what do I need to look for.

Sure, the drives SATA but how is the enclosure hooked up to the computer? USB? If you're planning on using Windows off the drive in the enclosure it needs to appear in the BIOS as if it were internally attached, which would only occur if the enclosures hooked up to your computer via an esata connection.

They're all similar but not identical.
Like a nostalgia trip back to the early DOS PCs of the 1980's
Some you might need to navigate using the arrow keys, esc and "enter", some newer ones include mouse support.
Find how to get in there (your splash screen should contain instructions, like " hit "del" to enter setup" on the first screen you see as you power up.)
Follow the instructions till you find yourself back in time.
Then you just need to look around for the "boot" section, which will probably be a tree structure. The top level saying which type of device takes precedence, floppy/usb/cd/hdd.
You need to drill down into the HDD section, where you'll find all your devices. Make sure the one you want to boot from is moved to the top of the list, then work back to the home page, and "exit with save changes".
Don't worry about messing things up. Look around at all the options. If you accidentally make changes (not likely) and can't remember what you've done, an "exit without saving changes" will fix things.

Terry,

Thank you for suggesting the BIOS. It helped me to learn a little more about how this contraption works. I do not think that this is a BIOS related issue tho. The problem seems somehow related directly to XP. I can get to the BIOS and the Safe-mode screens fine but when I load XP in any configurations it starts then hangs up and restarts. When I load XP in the Normal Configuration it shows the little flag for about a second and restarts.

I am trying to see how to disable the auto-restart from the BIOS but haven't seen it.
Any thoughts on how to disable the Auto Restart for XP during Startup?

I recently got a Windows XP Pro Reinstall Disk and this wont even boot. It will show 'Boot From CD' twice and wont got to the 'Press and key to Boot from CD or DVD'. Even if I hit the key to go directly to the Boot menu and select the drive the disk in it, it still wont load. Both of my laptops will read it and the one with XP will run it.

I am looking at trying to get the Command Prompt window up before XP tries to load but haven't found how yet. I think if I can't get to the command prompt screen I will eventually have to erase the HDD to reinstall windows. If I put the HDD back in the enclosure and sabotage windows or just delete the windows folder will that get the disk to load?

Addendum:

Sure, the drives SATA but how is the enclosure hooked up to the computer? USB? If you're planning on using Windows off the drive in the enclosure it needs to appear in the BIOS as if it were internally attached, which would only occur if the enclosures hooked up to your computer via an esata connection.

Justin,

I am not trying to start the HDD in the enclosure on the other computer. I used the eSATA cable that came with the enclosure and plugged it into the external eSATA connection on my Laptop. I powered up the enclosure after the Laptop was up and running since I was not trying to start it from that computer I only used the enclosure to get rid of the virus and get data off it. I am trying to get it to work back in the desktop I pulled it out of.

Last edited:
Disable auto-restart is an option in the extended boot menu.
Access the extended menu with F8 as you start the boot process.

Back