winload.exe is missing or corrupt

Marclyd

Please help?
my husbands Toshiba Satellite laptop crashed and came up with the error message winload.exe is missing or corrupt. I found your site with the download for the recovery disc for Vista. I've ran the recovery disc a few times and it's now taking about 3 hours to finish and when it does I get the error message oxcoooooe9 - an unexpected I/O error has occurred.
When I restart it just brings up windows error recovery - windows failed to start etc. Any advice please? :wtf:

Last edited:
Hi Marclyd, welcome to NST.
This is the syntax if you need it
You can run it from the "command prompt" option on the same page as "startup repair" from the booted recovery disk.

I can't get to the command prompt option now, it's not giving me all of the options that it gave me the first time I ran it. I have a "install windows" screen with "install now" or "Repair your computer" nothing else?

Select "repair your computer". It's on the following screen. (You can't use "Install" from our CD)

i found the info on this website for the recovery disc etc, put it in husbands laptop, ran it, didn't fix it so ran it a couple more times. While I was at work my hus tried it and clicked on "install now" - tried to put serial no in wouldn't let him do it. I wasn't v. happy that he'd messed with it lol and when I got in ran the repair again - this time took about 3 hours to finish and was still not working looks like it's gonna work but then a blue screen with writing that's too quick to read flashes up and then it gives the error oxcoooooe9 - an unexpected I/O error has occurred. Can't get to a command prompt - not giving me the option now? Have we completely buggered it up?

Addendum:

Select "repair your computer". It's on the following screen. (You can't use "Install" from our CD)
Hi Terry I am clicking on "repair your computer" then system recovery screen comes up with "windows Vista" I click next, then it runs "startup repair" then finishes saying it's repaired. Then it keeps giving the error oxcoooooe9 - an unexpected I/O error has occurred??

Last edited:
Sounds like the HDD is totally inaccessible.
1) Check in the BIOS, that there is a HDD visible
2) Eject the HDD and reconnect it a few times to clean up the contacts.

If you still can't get past "repair your computer", and the CD works on another fully functional PC, then it would seem your HDD is in a bad way.
Have you another Laptop with a second bay you could put it in, and try using a working OS to run diagnostics ?
Or get on the website of the HDD manufacturer and look for a free bootable HDD diagnostic program. (they generally make one available that works for HDDs of their own make)

Last edited:
Don't select Vista if its not selected. Just hit "Next" and you should get the menu we're talking about. If it is selected by default than you won't be able to unselect. In this case does auto-repair kick in or are you selecting startup repair from the menu? If you're selecting it yourself click "Command Prompt" instead and run:

chkdsk c: /r

Don't select Vista if its not selected. Just hit "Next" and you should get the menu we're talking about. If it is selected by default than you won't be able to unselect. In this case does auto-repair kick in or are you selecting startup repair from the menu? If you're selecting it yourself click "Command Prompt" instead and run:

chkdsk c: /r

Hi I don't select Vista it is already selected I click next and then the start up repair starts immediately - no other options now - I was getting the screen with the different options the first time I used the CD but not anymore??

Addendum:

Sounds like the HDD is totally inaccessible.
1) Check in the BIOS, that there is a HDD visible
2) Eject the HDD and reconnect it a few times to clean up the contacts.

If you still can't get past "repair your computer", and the CD works on another fully functional PC, then it would seem your HDD is in a bad way.
Have you another Laptop with a second bay you could put it in, and try using a working OS to run diagnostics ?
Or get on the website of the HDD manufacturer and look for a free bootable HDD diagnostic program. (they generally make one available that works for HDDs of their own make)

Hi again Terry, I think I might be a little bit out of my depth! The HDD is on the boot set up (Toshiba details are showing there) Is that what you mean? How do I eject the HDD? I'm thinking maybe this is something I can't repair considering I don't even know where to look for the answers you've given! Would like to give it a go though but I am obviously a bit of a dumbo!

Addendum:

The diagnosis repair details are:

"Number of repair attempts: 1

session details:
system disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = C:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0 x 0
time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: System disk test
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0 x0
Time taken - 0ms

Test performed:
Name: Disk Metadata test
Result:Completed successfully. Error code = 0 x 0
Time taken = 63 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Target OS test
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0 x 0
Time taken = 109 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Volume content check
Result: Completed successfully. error code = 0 x 0
Time taken = 187 ms

Root cause found:
System volume on disk is corrupt

Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)
Result: Completed successfully. Error code - 0 x 0
Time taken: 601696 ms"

I then get a screen to restart your computer to complete the repairs I click finish, computer restarts. blue screen with white writing flashes up then windows error recovery screen comes on asking me to launch startup repair (recommended) or start windows normally.
When I select launch startup repair - windows is loading files........ but stops about half way through white line then windows boot manager screen comes up with the error message:
"windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer. This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. make sure any removable storage is properly connected and restart your computer. If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer. Status: 0xc00000e9 Infor: An unexpected I/O has occurred. Enter=continue ESC = exit" (won't let me continue or exit have to restart the computer again.)
If I select start windows normally it just keeps going back to windows error recovery page.

Last edited:
If it asks to restart computer don't let it do so. Just click the upper right hand x in the corner. You should get the menu now...

ok so I've run chkdsk c:/r which took about 12 hours lots of bad clusters?? and it's still coming up with the error 0xc0000e9. Any advice? Thanks

Well, you can keep running chkdsk if you want or consider calling it a loss and getting a new disk. I had some success with 3 days of chkdsk one time but if its taking 12 hours I'd say its on its way out.

I've ran chkdsk c:/r again took about 3 hours and now has come up with a list of various verifications completed but at the end says "failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

X:\sources>chkdsk c:/r
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)?"

So should I force a dismount?

Back