Winload.exe

Yesterday my computer was running fine and this morning I wake up to a screen indicating that my winload.exe has been corrupted or missing. I tried to hit enter and move on to the next screen and from there I selected to load windows vista and then it went right back to the error screen. I also tried to load in safemode and it just stopped loading safemode and went right back to the error message. I tried everything to get passed it but I finally gave up and bought neosmart system re and also downloaded easybcd. I followed the exact steps given on how to put the ISO on a flashdrive and boot my vista machine with it and got it to open, now I select "automated repair" and select continue and then I select my drive and then select system restore and restored it to an earlier day back to when it was working fine. Then I restarted and the problem did not get resolved. Now I went back into recovery essentials and did the actual automated repair and it said it successfully repaired the problem. So I hit restart and instead of the winload.exe error I received a blank blue screen, and it stayed blue till I forced shut down my pc and tried to see if it would work now and what do you know? Back to the error message again! I am really starting to get worried tht I might have to format my hdd and I don't want that. Please if you have any other suggestions help me out.

The first thing that the boot manager does is to call the boot loader (winload.exe).
If there's any problem accessing the partition, you'll get the message that winload is missing or corrupted because that's the first thing it tries. It really only indicates that there's a problem accessing the OS partition.
Since EasyRE saw Vista as accessible, you don't appear to have a bad connection problem which could be cured by disconnecting and reconnecting the disk cables several times to clean the contacts, but there might be a disk corruption problem which prevents access to the blocks which it's attempting to read.
From EasyRE command prompt, try running chkdsk /r against your Vista partition
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true
It will take some time, but it might fix any bad block problems which are preventing the boot from progressing.

The link I gave you gives the proper syntax for chkdsk (you have to include the location of the partition you are trying to repair)

The whole of the partition, "chkdsk x: /r" where x= whatever letter EasyRE sees your Vista partition as.

Back