Wondering if EasyBCD is what i need

dmgash

Hello all, im new to the whole linux thing but i wanna try it out so here my question, im at college and have a laptop that currently has vista now i don't wanna go cold turkey and wipe my hard drive and fresh instal ubuntu and i also don't wanna partition the internal hardrive cause of size issues so here is my question;

I have already installed ubuntu on this computer with an USB hardrive 300 gig and i ran into some issues with GRUB bootloader, so that i could not turn my computer on and boot an OS unless i had the external plugged in, so is there any way that i could set it up so that i can load Ubuntu when i have the external hard disk plugged in and then load vista when it is unplugged i know my BIOS the boot priotity can be set up for that i was just wouldnt know if it worked i tried everything last time wanted to see if anyone more knowledgable in the area could help me....

I hope i have been clear enough and im sorry also it seems my post has turned into a block of text, so is EASYBCD what i need to make this work or is this not possible?

Thanks in advance best regards
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Hi dmgash. Welcome to NST.
Yes, its possible with EasyBCD to dual boot both from your internal drive, instead of the external. First of all, Vista doesn't boot when the external drive isn't plugged in and turned on? If that's the case, then you will need to repair Vista's bootloader on the internal drive with the Vista installation DVD (if you have it), and if you don't have one, you can download and burn to a CD the Recovery CD found on this site, which you can use to repair Vista's bootloader. And you can even use EasyBCD itself to fix Vista's bootloader! :brows:
Once you have done that, then it would be a simple matter of adding an entry to your Vista bootloader that can boot Ubuntu. But lets deal with the first problem of getting Vista booting with the external drive unplugged first. :wink: And then we can work on getting Ubuntu to boot from the Vista bootloader.

-Coolname007

ive fixed that ages ago (the fix MBR thing) now im ready to give it a second shot!

So are you saying Vista boots with the external unplugged? if that's the case, then I guess we can get right on getting Ubuntu to boot from the Vista bootloader! :brows: Is EasyBCD already installed?

-Coolname007

no it is not, unfortuntally i do not have the nessesarry time to do that tonight 7:30 am class ftl, i was more wondering if that is what i needed if it is i will be able to figure it out, when i get a chance, thank you very much in yiur assistance! :smile:

no it is not, unfortuntally i do not have the nessesarry time to do that tonight 7:30 am class ftl, i was more wondering if that is what i needed if it is i will be able to figure it out, when i get a chance, thank you very much in yiur assistance! :smile:

Alright then. Let me know when you have the time to work on it, and we'll do just that! :wink:

-Coolname007

Back