Wrong Bootloader Path for XP

J.L.Miller

I have an existing Win XP installation on one HD, and I recently installed Win 7 on a second HD. The Win XP HD was the active boot device (per BIOS setting), and when Win 7 was installed, the Win XP HD was properlsy set up for a dual-boot. I then used EasyBCD to make the Win 7 HD bootable, which worked fine. I then added the Win XP HD to the Win 7 HD boot sequence, which fails.

The Win XP boot entry on the Win 7 drive specifies \NST\ntldr as the Bootloader Path, but boot.ini and ntldr are both at the root directory on my Win XP HD. How do I edit the Bootloader Path to point to the correct location? Or is there another preferred way to get around this?

Thanks.

- John

No, I'm using v2.0.2.

However, after a bit more thought, I achieved a mini-epiphany. I was confusing the target boot HD with the one containing the OS to be booted. So, in fact, the path was correct. The puzzling part is that the boot failed with an error saying that \NST\ntldr couldn't be found. Of course, it wasn't present on the HD containing the OS to be booted, but at the time, I was still confusing the two HDs, so I never looked for it on the target boot HD.

I deleted the offending entry and re-established it. Near as I can tell, the second addition was the same as the first, but now it boots just fine. Guess I'll never know the cause of the first failure, since all the evidence is now gone. I tend to think, though, that it was "cockpit error", and not the fault of EasyBCD.

- John

I am having a similar problem and would really like it if someone who knows bcdedit.exe and can write out step-by-step what I need to edit my "PATH" for my Windows XP entry. I have Windows XP on drive C: and Windows 7 on drive D:. EasyBCD keeps adding a folder to my C: drive called "NST" with ntldr.exe in it. I already have ntldr.exe in the root of my C: drive and don't need or want the extra folder and file. Really getting frustrated after countless hours of re-installations of both OS's to try and fix this.

The boot files on XP can't be used to dual boot it from another partition.
That's why EasyBCD puts appropriate copies where they must be for you and creates the correct chains to your target drive.
Just let EasyBCD do its thing for you using auto-configure.
Don't change anything it sets up.

Back