Wrong button in BCD killed my Windows/Linux dual boot

After you see the "no OS found" message, triplehelix.log (viewable right after clicking backup/browse) should contain the useful info to determine what's going on.

Terry, I get the message "Reboot and Select Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_"

Computuer Guru, thank you for the advice. Below is what appears when I click open that file. (I tried to copy and past it to a flash drive, but it didn't work) Thanks again guys for the help.
2013-03-22_12-06-45_830.jpg
2013-03-22_12-07-05_63.jpg
2013-03-22_12-07-37_567.jpg
2013-03-22_12-08-02_85.jpg

Addendum

Computer Guru, I was able to copy and paste this using a flash drive here is what it looks like now.

INFO: Server started successfully on port 8081.
DEBG: Entering ResolutionFallback
INFO: Falling back to fail-safe resolution due to user timeout.
DEBG: Executing xrandr -s 1024x768
DEBG: Output:

DEBG: Leaving ResolutionFallback
DEBG: Entering LaunchRecovery
DEBG: Incoming request. POST contents:
{"recoveryOption":"fileRecovery"}
DEBG: Executing "pcmanfm" "/home/neosmart/"
DEBG: Leaving LaunchRecovery

Computer Guru, I don't know, this was given to me by someone at my office and I don't know it's history. I tried to purchase from Easy Recovery Essentials | Windows Repair CD Downloads twice with two different cards without any luck and also tried to call the number without luck as well. I was afraid that it would bill my card twice, so didn't attempt again.

I need this up and running asap, and may have to resort to Staples who will charge me a min of $80. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It looks like it is - from the logs, you have an older version that does not play well with GPT hard disks which it looks like you have.
You won't be billed twice if the order doesn't go through, but if you try more than two different credit cards you'll hit against the credit card fraud IP filter. Try again and if you're still having problems ordering send an email to support@systemdiscs.com

It looks like it is - from the logs, you have an older version that does not play well with GPT hard disks which it looks like you have.
You won't be billed twice if the order doesn't go through, but if you try more than two different credit cards you'll hit against the credit card fraud IP filter. Try again and if you're still having problems ordering send an email to support@systemdiscs.com

Thanks Computer Guru, I tried again and received the following message "This transaction cannot be processed. Please enter a valid credit card number and type." I've sent them an email requesting help.

Addendum

Thanks Computer Guru, I tried again and received the following message "This transaction cannot be processed. Please enter a valid credit card number and type." I've sent them an email requesting help.

Ok, the people at systemdiscs called me and took my cc over the phone and I was able to get the Win 7 Professional (they upgraded me at no additional cost) in my email within min. After burning/mounting to a cd I put in the pc that is broken. The automated repair section had several partitions (the old one didn't show any) I chose the partition with the C drive. It took about 5 min to go through, gave a message saying that it has been repaired to remove the disc and restart.

It has been stuck on the "Starting Windows" image for about 10 minutes, I've restarted twice with the same result.

Hopefully I'm getting closer...any suggestions?

Addendum

Here is what it says in the triplehelix log now

INFO: Server started successfully on port 8081.
DEBG: Entering GetConfiguration
DEBG: Leaving GetConfiguration
DEBG: Entering ResolutionFallback
INFO: Falling back to fail-safe resolution due to user timeout.
DEBG: Executing xrandr -s 1024x768
DEBG: Output:

DEBG: Leaving ResolutionFallback

Addendum

When I go to the partitions fat 32 flag is checked boot as well as the os. I tried it with the fat 32 unchecked and had the same result.

2013-03-25_15-10-55_30.jpg
2013-03-25_15-11-30_933.jpg
2013-03-25_15-18-50_754.jpg

Last edited:
So your original issue (bootloader broken) is fixed?

The log is cleared each time you exit the repair environment; i.e. you need to view after running the repair in the same session. The log you posted shows nothing.
I would run the repair again and use the System Restore feature to restore an earlier registry snapshot, if possible.

My original issue was that my pc would not boot after installing bootloader, and it still does not boot. (Perhaps my original issue is not knowing what I am doing, and getting in over my head)

Thanks for your advice Computer Guru, a lot of this is very new to me. I performed a System Restore and below are the results from the log. The computer still got stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen and does not advance.

From what you're describing, it looks like you went from broken bootloader ("reboot and select boot device") to what you're seeing now ("windows is starting") meaning that EasyRE was able to at least repair the bootloader but there is apparently something else the matter.

I'm having the latest version of the 64-bit recovery CD for Windows 7 sent to you, there's a chance it might be able to do something now that your bootloader is repaired.

Thanks, I tried the recovery cd and got the following message(s)
Re: System Restore from an earlier backup
"Windows cannot find a system image on this computer. Attach the backup hard disk or insert the final DVD from a backup set and click Retry. Alternatively, close this dialog for more options."

Re: Automated Repair
"Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. Sending more information can help Microsoft create solutions."
Option to send or Don't send.

What does the automated repair log details show? And what about "regular" system restore (not from backup)?

Back