XP after Vista: Vista won't boot

RustyCH

Hi! I need help!
I installed on a working Vista System (Drive C: ) on a second partition Windows XP pro (Drive I: ).
I tried all three steps in the "Recovering the Vista Bootloader with EasyBCD".
I got correctly one Bootmanager point for Vista and one for XP.
Booting works only with XP. Trying Vista, an error "file \windows\system32\winload.exe"; Status: 0xc0000225; Info: could not loaded because missing or corrupted".
If I rename the boot folder on C: (With a Ubuntu-live-CD), the computer won't start anyway.

The entries after repairing everything looks like following:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 5 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Windows Vista
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {e7ef3da2-e01b-11dd-b58b-0002b34ae574}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Now, I'm at the end :x Can someone help me?

Hi Coolname007. Yes, I read it thorough, but I'm still not able to repair the bootloader with EasyBCD, and Vista still refuse to boot. I hope someone now my problem and a solution. In the moment I'm waiting for the Vista disc to try repair the Vista installation from the "Vista-side".
RustyCH

Please post the debugged (more detail version) from EasyBCD. The way it currently looks fine to me. Have you tried startup repair?

Hi Coolname007. Yes, I read it thorough, but I'm still not able to repair the bootloader with EasyBCD, and Vista still refuse to boot. I hope someone now my problem and a solution. In the moment I'm waiting for the Vista disc to try repair the Vista installation from the "Vista-side".
RustyCH

Ok...so have you tried "Boot into a working copy of Windows (be it XP or Vista), and run EasyBCD. Go to the "Diagnostics Center" page", "Select "Reset BCD Storage" then "Rescue My System" to begin recovery"?

You'll see a dialog asking you for your boot drive - pick the letter of your Windows Vista drive, then hit OK to continue.
EasyBCD will reset your BCD data and re-configure your bootloader correctly.
At this point, you will only have one entry in the Vista bootloader - it'll be for the copy of Windows Vista installed to the drive you selected in the step above. Make sure you go to the Add/Remove entries page and [add whatever operating systems] you need to before you reboot.

Or have you tried:

Select "Recreate missing/deleted boot files" then "Rescue My System" to begin recovery In EasyBCD.
You'll first be asked to select your Boot Drive from a drop-down list. This is the drive that your system boots from, and will generally have files like NTLDR, NTDETECT, BOOTMGR and/or a BOOT folder. Pick the drive and press OK.
You'll be asked for the letter of your Windows Vista drive next - just like in the step above. Choose the right drive and press OK to continue.
EasyBCD will recreate (if possible) your boot files and re-configure your bootloader from scratch.

If none of the above works, then try:

"If EasyBCD fails, that means a process has locked your BOOT folder. Manually delete this folder with a Live CD, recovery console, or other method, then try Type Three again."

All of this is from the wiki documentation on Recovering the Vista Bootloader with EasyBCD, which is located here: Recovering the Vista Bootloader with EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

This should fix your problem. If it doesn't, then please post, and we will try to help as much as possible. :wink:

Cheers! :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
O.K. Im not on the computer, but I will try to describe my steps:

1. After installing XP (On Partition I: ) and the actual .NET distro, I started EasyBCD. EasyBCD asked me for the correct Boot-Letter; I choosed C: (Vista-Partition)
2. I went (under XP) to Bootloader Management and reinstalled on C: the Vista Bootloader (no Success for Vista)
3. I got in EasyBCD to the Dignostic Center and selected Reset BCD Storage to C: (Vista), afterwards I added a entrie for Windows XP; no Success for Vista Booting
4. I recreated with Diagnostic Center the Bootloader on C: and added the XP part again: no success
5. Deleting the Bootfolder on C: (With Linux) leaded to a non-bootable computer :frowning:

I guess my only hope is to repair it with the Vista install disk.

Last edited:
Using the Vista DVD (or our recovery disk) is certainly the easiest way. You don't need to know anything about what you're doing.
I'm guessing that you've just misidentified the correct location for Vista when adding the entry from XP.
Remember if you're doing it from XP, you point to the letter that XP calls Vista, not to what Vista calls itself. (disk lettering is just an internal convenience of the booted system, it bears no relation to the outside world. It isn't physically present on the disk).
If you still can't work it out, post a screenshot of your disk management and paste the contents of the detailed (debug) view of EasyBCD settings output.
(make it clear which partition is which if you haven't given the partitions obvious labels)

Last edited:
Thanks Terry, I will do the analysis today evening when I'm at home and the kids are to bed.
Anyway, do I need the Vista-Administrator password for repairing (because It is not my computer)?

No. You might need a password for the recovery console, but you don't need to use that. Just select "repair my computer" from the 1st screen and "repair startup" from the next and it will do the business itself.
(You'll need to do the whole thing 2 or 3 times probably until Vista boots unaided. It only fixes one thing per pass)
Have a read of the link Cool gave you, which points to everywhere else you'll find what you need.
Check first that you correctly identified where you pointed to Vista from XP, as I said previously.
It might be as simple as changing the drive id for the Vista entry using EasyBCD from XP.
Just point it to what XP calls the Vista partition in explorer (if it's wrong now).
If that's not the problem, go ahead with the auto-repair.

Hurrah! The Vista-disk has done the job at the first repair try! Now the PC boots correctly in both systems!

Addendum:

Thanks a lot for the help here! Im happy to give a working computer back to my friend!

Last edited:
Back