XP and Vista on 2 Seperate Hard Drives

If not its cause you either got more than two disks and need to keep playing with it or XP really isn't on partition 1 of the disk.

Got blue screen after a quick flash of the XP loading bar with technical information:
*** STOP : 0x0000007B (0xBAC3528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
I haven't found details for this error message yet, but I'm working on it.
I'll try giving rdisk a value of 2 since although I only have 2 hard drives, my memory card reader, oddly, was included in my hard disk boot priority as a third drive.

If you've got a BSOD than you've probably found the right place. Now why you're getting one is another problem you'll need to deal with. Press F8 as you select XP's entry and choose safe mode to see if you can get in.

... damn this is starting to suck. I set the XP drive to Master by jumper settings, put it in an older computer, and it booted fine. Put it back in this one, and it got the ntoskrnl error message again! When I set the rdisk value to (2), I get this message:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware referrence manuals for additional information.

There is only one partition on each drive, so both OS's are installed on partition 1 of there respective drives. This was very confusing to me. Can anyone tell me what's going on now? :frowning:

Last edited:
Rdisk(1) is correct for XP as seen from Vista ( Vista is 0 the other HDD is 1), but if you boot from the XP drive by changing the BIOS, the boot.ini on the XP system will need rdisk(0) (0 is the booted HDD, 1 the other)
Your blue screen proved that you'd got the right place, but that you've got a problem running XP not finding it.
Have a look through this.

If it worked on another computer, your boot.ini is fine. You need to go into your BIOS and see if you can change the disk controller operation mode to either IDE or SATA (w/e) its not set to and XP should boot properly like it would on the older machine you tested it on.

Set the boot.ini on the VIsta disk to rdisk(1) and jumper the IDE as master.
What happens then ?

OK. That's the right boot.ini then. Now you have to find why the XP runs on your old hardware, but not the new. It'll be a matter of the newer hardware needing drivers that aren't on the XP system.
Try Jus's suggestion for changing the disk controller operating mode in the BIOS, and failing that follow the troubleshooting list in the link I gave you.

I've gone through the troubleshooting list in that link and I've tried everything I could except the repair installation and the clean install. My bios doesn't seem to have an option specifically for changing the disk controller operating mode, nor does it have many of the options mentioned in the troubleshooting list. I am also very inexperienced in my own bios because in the past I've always tended to stay away from those setting in fear of screwing them up. I don't know if I have these bios settings options, but under different titles, or what. Anyway, I'm using a Pheonix Award bios dated 2003, which I updated last year some time from the manufacturer's site. That might help if someone who knows what their doing has any exerience with a similar system to mine. Thanks again for all your help.

Acording to your posted boot priority, XP's drive is second, so rdisk() should be 1 or greater depending on how many drives you got...

Ahh...I see. Thanks for catching that, Justin. :smile: I was going by the screenshot he posted of Disk Management which showed his XP drive as first, not second, but I guess he changed his boot order in the BIOS since (possibly...). :wink: But then again, since one of his drives are IDE (his XP), and the other SATA (Vista), perhaps that was why his Disk Management was showing it as disk 1, not 0, while his BIOS showed it as disk 1. That was what threw me off, and made me give him the misinformation. :shame:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Grab the latest drivers from your OEM's website and slipstream them using nlite.

If I can get my hands on the latest drivers from seagate (who appear not to support their older products such as this one), would slipstreaming not achieve the same result as simply updating the drivers on the XP drive using the older machine in which the drive can currently boot? I can call Seatagte support to try and get the drivers out of them, or I try try some more Windows updates with my other computer, or, using the other computer, I could try setting the driver to a previous version because I recall updating it on that machine recently.

Last edited:
I'd still like to know about slipstreaming, should I be able to locate the necessary drivers, but I am now presented with addition information I think could possibly be related to my problem. I just flashed my bios using a bootable cd- the kind that is recognised as a floppy and will only boot in ide drives. Before I installed the 80gb XP drive as master, I had an ide DVD drive on the master channel. I had to set that ide drive to slave for my bios to recognize it again to make it possible to flach my bios. My new boot priorities after the bios flash are:
Hard disks: ______________________________________CD-ROMs:
1.Ch1 M. : [Vista drive] ____________________________1.Ch0 S. [ide disc drive]
2.Ch0 M. : [XP drive] ______________________________2.Ch2 M. [sata disc drive]
3.USB drive (external flash drive I forgot to take out)
4.Bootable add-in cards (Media card reader)

That's not the important part. This is what I need to ask you about. In integrated peripherals in the new bios, I still don't have disk controller operation mode options, or sata mode/ Legacy/ata options or the option to enable LBA mode, as the troubleshooting list recommended I modify those options. The new option I found, however, was in my advanced chipset features, called "OS Comp". It's default setting is disabled. The item help says: Select "Auto" for all current OSes (XP, Vista, Linux, etc). This is a future proof switch to improve compatibility in potential future OSes.
-should I set this setting to "Auto" and see if it helps?

Last edited:
If it'll let you install drivers on the old machine though it may not need them, give it a go. Might be best here than slipstreaming and re-installing.

Back