XP boot doesn't complete

slafauci

I setup dual boot on a Vista 64 bit machine with a docked HD from my XP machine using EasyBCD. Time is set to 30. When I boot to XP the boot starts but after a short time stops and Vista boots successfully. Any help would be appreciated. I changed the time to 60 but got the same response.
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista
Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows
Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {67f40f60-b37a-11de-9f37-0026180e2845}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

You need to select Windows XP from the boot menu using your up/down arrow keys that appears when you boot the computer. Vista is the default entry so unless you interrupt it within the timeout given, the bootloader assumes you want to boot the default entry.

Hi slafauci, welcome to NST.
Is the XP HDD from an all IDE system, now connected to a PC with SATA drives ?
If so, it probably lacks the driver support to access the machine it's connected to.
Even if it were to get further, the internal "picture" of the environment it was created for (the registry image of the system it came from) will be quite different to the environment it finds itself in, and its attempts to "find new hardware" and reconfigure itself will exceed the change threshold and require the OS to be re-activated.
If it comes from an OEM system, the licence is tied irrevocably to the former hardware and MS will decline to validate the attempt at activation.
If it is a full retail copy, it can be validated but you'll need to do it by phone.

XP not booting in Dual Boot mode

Thank you Terry for your info. Since I can access the XP HDD on the Vista machine, I will copy or install the programs that are compatable w/64bit OS and not do the dual boot. Thanks again... Sal

If you have really old apps on XP, (the type with a 16bit installer and no registry entries other than the uninstall info), you'll be unable to install on Vista 64bit, but you might be able to execute them directly from the old XP HDD where they sit.

Back