2 New one SATA: Partitioned and then installed :
Part1: NTFS windows7 as Primary
Part2: NTFS Data as Primary
Part3: HPFS+ Mac as Primary
Part4: Ext3 as Logical For Ubuntu
Part5: Swap as Logical For Ubuntu

XP has already installed
Then i install windows7, Ubuntu, and Mac as a last one
Strange, after install windows 7 i never got "earliest windows" at pick choice...
Somehow win7 got grub error when the boot priority comes to SATA new one, cannot read disk.....however since i try installed grub4dos at XP. i got into win7. I use startup recovery Win7 [first said error but check again said its fine but still error "cannot read"], activate the partition, fixmbr winxp disk..no hope. OK Reinstalled Win7....

Then i met this EasyBCD. I wanna to boot SATA as priority and put all the OS in the menu
When booting to win7.
The SATA Win7 Part1-> C
The IDE XP Part1 -> D
The SATA Data Part2 -> E
The IDE DATA Part2 -> F
The DVDRW -> G

The config as below:
I tried EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, sometimes got Bootgrap error in win7.
I use automatic and manual.

Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device                  partition=C:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default                 {d05789df-006f-11de-b0a4-b4097bad92d3}
resumeobject            {d05789de-006f-11de-b0a4-b4097bad92d3}
displayorder            {d05789df-006f-11de-b0a4-b4097bad92d3}
                        {d05789e2-006f-11de-b0a4-b4097bad92d3}
                        {931ecae0-0026-11de-bc73-002197890c5d}
                        {931ecae1-0026-11de-bc73-002197890c5d}
                        {931ecae2-0026-11de-bc73-002197890c5d}
toolsdisplayorder       {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {d05789df-006f-11de-b0a4-b4097bad92d3}
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows 7
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence        {d05789e0-006f-11de-b0a4-b4097bad92d3}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {d05789de-006f-11de-b0a4-b4097bad92d3}
nx                      OptIn

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {d05789e2-006f-11de-b0a4-b4097bad92d3}
path                    \NST\nst_mac.mbr
description             Mac OS X Leopard

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {931ecae0-0026-11de-bc73-002197890c5d}
path                    \NTLDR
description             Microsoft Windows XP

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {931ecae1-0026-11de-bc73-002197890c5d}
device                  partition=D:
path                    \NTLDR
description             Microsoft Windows XP

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {931ecae2-0026-11de-bc73-002197890c5d}
path                    \NST\NeoGrub.mbr
description             NeoSmart Linux
The win7 and the mac work flawlessly
The linux not checked yet.

The problem is the XP....
The automatic xP locating C:\ cannot find the ntldr since it is 7 partition that use bootmgr
The manual on D: looks no hope. comes reboot....

Any ideas?

Do i need to copy the boot.ini and the ntldr on D: to C: to work?
Already use this technic..the boot.ini seems cannot find the xp...
:angry:

Last edited:
Hi realbabilu, welcome to NST

Enable viewing of hidden files and folders and disable hiding of protected operating system files in the view tab in folder options. Copy over boot.ini, ntdetect.com, and ntldr from your XP partition to C: when you're inside W7. Get EasyBCD 2.0 Beta and add an entry for XP. If upon reboot that doesn't work, go to Tools menu in EasyBCD, and select the option to auto-configure your boot.ini file.

Hi realbabilu, welcome to NST

Enable viewing of hidden files and folders and disable hiding of protected operating system files in the view tab in folder options. Copy over boot.ini, ntdetect.com, and ntldr from your XP partition to C: when you're inside W7. Get EasyBCD 2.0 Beta and add an entry for XP. If upon reboot that doesn't work, go to Tools menu in EasyBCD, and select the option to auto-configure your boot.ini file.

Adding an XP entry automatically starts the autoconfigurator for boot.ini, Justin. So after he creates the XP entry, he will not have to go to Tools later, and select that option. And he already has 2.0 Beta.

The config as below:
I tried EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, sometimes got Bootgrap error in win7.
I use automatic and manual.
-Coolname007

Last edited:
Since he has a mix of SATA and IDE disks, that could be part of his problem as well. But since he's using Win 7 instead of Vista, that would make it detect his SATA disk first instead of the IDE...*thinking*

-Coolname007

EDIT: @realbabilu: Please post a screenshot of your Disk Management screen, so we can get a clearer picture of your situation.

Last edited:

Well, i tried the grub on the easyBCD. The grub using my worked grub menu.lst that installed at XP partition and copied into NST directory. The Grub also has reboot problem.

However if grub installed on IDE (XP part) or EasyBCD installed at XP partition, all partition can be loaded....

h: is the usb removable HDD
i: is the usb flashdisk

Last edited:

Well, i tried the grub on the easyBCD. The grub using my worked grub menu.lst that installed at XP partition and copied into NST directory. The Grub also has reboot problem.

However if grub installed on IDE (XP part) or EasyBCD installed at XP partition, all partition can be loaded....

h: is the usb removable HDD
i: is the usb flashdisk

Grub needs to be installed to your Ubuntu (not XP) partition. :wink: Did you select the Advanced option when installing Ubuntu, and if so, do you know what location you typed in to install Grub to?

I also noticed your "system" partition is on disk 1 (or the second disk as the count begins at 0), while the "active" partition on the other hand is on disk 0, which may pose a problem for Windows. :wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: And where did you take that screenshot from? Win 7?

Last edited:
Grub needs to be installed to your Ubuntu (not XP) partition. :wink: Did you select the Advanced option when installing Ubuntu, and if so, do you know what location you typed in to install Grub to?

I also noticed your "system" partition is on disk 1 (or the second disk as the count begins at 0), while the "active" partition on the other hand is on disk 0, which may pose a problem for Windows. :wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: And where did you take that screenshot from? Win 7?

The screenshot was taken on win 7.
The Grub was installed using wingrub on partition 1 winXP
and using EasyBCD .mbr on NST folder HDD2 part 1 7 win7
Grub is installed to in ext2 partition marked as logical bootable too.

Yes you are correct/ This problem cause is the system partition is on disk 1 [win7]
when the win xp the predecessor already installed on disk0.

SO after install the win 7, the XP already has the disk0.
But i don;t know how to solve it.
if the XP in the same HDD perhaps no problem

Last edited:
The screenshot was taken on win 7.
The Grub was installed using wingrub on partition 1 winXP
and using EasyBCD .mbr on NST folder HDD2 part 1 7 win7
Grub is installed to in ext2 partition marked as logical bootable too.

Yes you are correct/ This problem cause is the system partition is on disk 1 [win7]
when the win xp the predecessor already installed on disk0.

SO after install the win 7, the XP already has the disk0.
But i don;t know how to solve it.
if the XP in the same HDD perhaps no problem

Ok...that's what I thought. :wink: You must have a mix of SATA and IDE disks then, if the disk you are booting from (Win 7's) is shown as Disk 1 (instead of Disk 0, as it should be) in Disk Management from Win 7. Now obviously, there is still the problem of the "system" partition being on one drive (Win 7's), and the "active" partition being on another drive (XP's). To fix it, you will need to set the Win 7 partition as "active" instead, and copy over XP's boot files (namely: boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com) into the root of your Win 7 partition (C). Next, edit boot.ini to point it back at Win XP's partition (basically changing the rdisk ( ) values to the correct thing).

To set as active, open up Disk Management, select your Win 7 partition, right-click, and select "Mark partition as active". And then your problem with XP should be solved. :wink: As for Linux still not working, that is a completely unrelated problem (i think...), and we can work on that once you've got the first issue (with XP) solved.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Ok...that's what I thought. :wink: You must have a mix of SATA and IDE disks then, if the disk you are booting from (Win 7's) is shown as Disk 1 (instead of Disk 0, as it should be) in Disk Management from Win 7. Now obviously, there is still the problem of the "system" partition being on one drive (Win 7's), and the "active" partition being on another drive (XP's). To fix it, you will need to set the Win 7 partition as "active" instead, and copy over XP's boot files (namely: boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com) into the root of your Win 7 partition (C). Next, edit boot.ini to point it back at Win XP's partition (basically changing the rdisk ( ) values to the correct thing).

To set as active, open up Disk Management, select your Win 7 partition, right-click, and select "Mark partition as active". And then your problem with XP should be solved. :wink: As for Linux still not working, that is a completely unrelated problem (i think...), and we can work on that once you've got the first issue (with XP) solved.

-Coolname007

Well partition Win 7 Already Active. Both first partition on HDD IDE and Sata is active. Well, i have already done that without copying the ntdetect.com. If copied without ntdetect.com, it's reboot for XP, and if copied with ntdetect.com, it's halt when XP choosen. Going to check customized boot.ini

Well partition Win 7 Already Active. Both first partition on HDD IDE and Sata is active. Well, i have already done that without copying the ntdetect.com. If copied without ntdetect.com, it's reboot for XP, and if copied with ntdetect.com, it's halt when XP choosen. Going to check customized boot.ini

Oh...you're right! :S I just looked at that screenshot again, and it turns out your Win 7 partition does indeed have an "active" flag on it. I guess I missed it before...
Ok, so just ignore those instructions where I said set the Win 7 partition as "active", and we can try something else. Not sure what you meant when you said "Well, i have already done that without copying the ntdetect.com. If copied without ntdetect.com, it's reboot for XP, and if copied with ntdetect.com, it's halt when XP choosen". Are you saying when you copy ntdetect.com over to the Win 7 partition, it halts, but when you don't copy it, it just reboots? Your ntdetect.com (along with ntldr, and boot.ini) definitely needs to be in the Win 7 partition root. Please post your boot.ini contents (making sure to post the right boot.ini, i.e. the one on the Win 7 partition), so we can make sure its configured correctly, and doesn't have the wrong rdisk ( ) and/or partition ( ) values. :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Yes, the boot.ini,ntldr, and ntdetect.com from the IDE XP Partition must be copied into the SATA Win 7 partition.
the copied boot.ini should be changed from:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
to
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
Since the partition IDE detected first.

The BCD Setting ntloader for WinXP should be set to c: where the win 7 reside.
Can be looked at configuration #3 the first post

Thank you Coolname007 :brows:

Last edited:
You're welcome. :smile: Just FYI though, the IDE drive being detected first is only a problem that Windows has. :wink: Since boot.ini gets its drive values from the BIOS, rdisk (1) was correct because the Win 7 drive was still disk 0, and the XP drive was still disk 1. The drive you're booting directly from is always going to be disk 0, and since you were booting from the Win 7 drive, that is why rdisk (1) was correct. :smile: The only thing the Windows Disk Management served to do is confuse everyone, since it was showing the IDE drive as disk 0, when it was actually disk 1... :glare: Perhaps for future reference, we need to tell everyone to gets their drive numbers straight from the BIOS, and not from Windows Disk Management, for their boot.ini, and we wont have those kind of problems.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
So EasyBCD's auto-config for boot.ini didn't fix it for you?
Or did you just manually edit it?

The boot.ini configurator doesn't work when there's a mix of SATA and IDE disks, remember? :wink: That is because the IDE gets detected first (apparently in Win 7, too...) in Windows, and that is where the auto-configurator gets its drive and partition values from. Windows. It would only work if the IDE drive was first in the BIOS, as well.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Easy 2.0 auto-configurator fixes that, Cool.
I have an IDE disk which Vista calls disk 0 (It's 1 in the BIOS), but 2.0 correctly rebuilt my boot.ini for me. (Guru got me to test it specifically, before making it public)

Easy 2.0 auto-configurator fixes that, Cool.
I have an IDE disk which Vista calls disk 0 (It's 1 in the BIOS), but 2.0 correctly rebuilt my boot.ini for me. (Guru got me to test it specifically, before making it public)

hmm...but my point was that in the publicly released build, at least, the auto-configurator still has an issue with a SATA and IDE drive mix. :wink: Obviously, the version of it that you tested must not have been released in the public build yet, since the OP's IDE (XP) drive is being detected as 1st drive in Windows, while it is actually the second drive in the BIOS, and the auto-configurator apparently followed what Windows was calling it, not the BIOS, since his boot.ini still said rdisk (0) for his XP entry, which was of course wrong, since it was actually rdisk (1) where his XP his located. But once he edited it manually, the problem was of course fixed...:smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
No, this was back at build 51. Guru's incorporated the code he developed for the "partition identifier" utility I think, and it should ignore the Vista and W7 misaprehensions and correctly set the rdisk as seen by the BIOS.
It certainly works on my system, which is the classic case. (I've been reponsible for breaking more early builds of HnS than anyone, because of it)

No, this was back at build 51. Guru's incorporated the code he developed for the "partition identifier" utility I think, and it should ignore the Vista and W7 misaprehensions and correctly set the rdisk as seen by the BIOS.
It certainly works on my system, which is the classic case. (I've been reponsible for breaking more early builds of HnS than anyone, because of it)

Hmm...I wonder what build the OP is using then. :S Because whatever build he's currently using obviously must not have that feature incorporated...:wink:

-Coolname007

Yeah, the whole point of the latest discovery CG made is that now EasyBCD can be 100% accurate with correctly configuring the boot.ini file. This feature would have been added before now, except before CG found out about it only SATA or IDE exclusive setups could be configured without worry automatically and there was at the time apparently no way to configure a boot.ini correctly in the event of an IDE/SATA mix.

The OP if they got EasyBCD beta will have the latest build, unless they were a private beta tester for the earlier builds.

Back