XP doesn't wake up from hibernation

Wonda

Hi,
I have a multiboot system with XP and Win7 on disk 1 and Ubuntu on disk2. It used to run inpeccably thanks to EasyBCD.

Because of a small problem I wanted to restore a previous version of XP. So I made (Acronis) images of both partitions, restored an earlier image of XP, found out that the validated archive didn't run (!!!), and I gave up.
I restored the XP image, and had to restore Win7 too to get it running, and the whole box was perfect again.

Except one thing: XP doesn't wake up after hibernation, but presents the boot menu. Going asleep seems normal: "preparing hibernation", and there is a hiberfil.sys with the correct date&time. No error messages at startup, nothing alarming in the eventlog.
Win7 and Ubuntu have no problems to resume from hibernation.

How can I resolve this?
XP is preinstalled, repair is no option.
This is the EasyBCD report:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device unknown
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {c4fe4544-d175-11df-b9c7-00259c90b597}
resumeobject {c0d9d4b0-c199-11df-87f5-806e6f6e6963}
displayorder {c4fe4544-d175-11df-b9c7-00259c90b597}
{696d061c-a030-11df-9c71-dabf414cf335}
{c4fe4545-d175-11df-b9c7-00259c90b597}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 10
displaybootmenu Yes

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {c4fe4544-d175-11df-b9c7-00259c90b597}
device partition=D:
path \NST\ntldr
description Windows XP Home

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {696d061c-a030-11df-9c71-dabf414cf335}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7 Ultimate
locale en-US
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {c0d9d4b0-c199-11df-87f5-806e6f6e6963}

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {c4fe4545-d175-11df-b9c7-00259c90b597}
device partition=C:
path \NST\AutoNeoGrub1.mbr
description Ubuntu 10.4

Try putting a copy of the ntldr file in root of the Win7 drive/partition! :smile:

I experienced the exact problem and found this solved it. WinXP enters hibernation, never resumes, but just appears back like a cold boot. However, I see in the winxp eventlog a "previous shutdown was unexpected". Regardless of what PATH says in the bcd store ("\NST\ntldr" in my case). No adverse effects to win7. Nothing to do with EasyBCD nor doing any kind of boot repair helps.

My guess is this... upon powering up, the newer win7/vista Windows Boot Manager silently first runs a resume boot app that detects any active hibernation(s), then decides whether to run a set of "Resume From Hibernate" settings or show you the boot menu. By doing this, I find it doesn't get a chance to load ntldr path, thus never checking ntldr has hibernations laying in wait. Vista/win7 quickly checks its own hiberfil.sys, finds it is not asleep, and continues on to the main menu. So unless your active booting partition is the older xp way (nt52), a copy of the missing ntldr file will need to be put in the same root folder together with this newer boot manager... think missing dll situation.
:happy:

Hi Mouse, welcome to the forums.

Thank you so much for your help on this issue, it never crossed my mind, but what you are suggesting is very logical. We've been assuming that the boot manager will always go through the entry we added, but I guess it's very possible (and knowing Microsoft, quite likely) that NTLDR will loaded from some hard-coded path instead of the location that EasyBCD configured in the BCD.

Question: are you putting it in the Windows 7 root partition or in the root of the actual boot (active) partition? Or are they one and the same in your case?

Thanks! Glad to be here. Happy to be of any help in other threads too. :wink:

Question: are you putting it in the Windows 7 root partition or in the root of the actual boot (active) partition? Or are they one and the same in your case?
Yes, both were the same for me.

Yeah I'll have to double check but most likely it'll need to be on the boot drive.

Stick around, you've been a great help with this nugget of info and bout of experimentation!

I would never have noticed this quirk.
I cold-start my PC in the morning, do a complete shut-down last thing after backups, and have an aggressive power-saving regime at all other times.
I steer well clear of sleep, hibernation, hybrid sleep or whatever else they come up with, as I don't think they've ever got it to work properly since ME, where I got my fingers burned trying it. (on ME it was an almost-guaranteed system killer which took 100x longer to sort out, than you'd save in a lifetime of successful hibernations)
I had it briefly on by default in Vista during the setup phase (before I got into advanced power options and killed it), and it still malfunctioned straight out of the box (entering sleep and instantly re-emerging every few minutes)
I'm not convinced MS will ever get it to work reliably on a single OS, and when you're multibooting four, the possibilities for c*ck-up are endless.

Last edited:
Same here. Perhaps if I had a Windows laptop I might have considered hibernation, but my MacBook makes both suspend and hibernation unnecessary with it's incredible power saving mode when the lid goes down, where it stays on and fully running, but freezes all activity.

Back