xp entry - just reboots

tom.smith

Hi!

Just installed easyBCD2.0 build 75 to get my problem solved... didn't worked out...

My config looks like:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: Q:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows XP
BCD ID: {858ebb47-c6df-11de-986f-b5d617096569}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Whenever I use the entry Windows XP my system just reboots... what is that good for??

Tried to use the autodetect function - didn't worked out as my PC never stopped searching...

Any idea?

Thanks!

Addendum:

When I look at this config... why is the boot drive listed with Q:\ ???????????????????

Addendum:

Just looked at my drive q:\

don't know why, but I can find the following files:
- bootmgr
- bootsect.bak

Do this files have anything to do with XP after installing Win7??

Last edited:
OK,

Please download this zip file: http://j.mp/MiniDumpTool
Once EasyBCD stops responding, follow the instructions in the zip file you downloaded to generate a dump file, zip it up, and upload it as an attachment to the reply to the post here. The exe you need to get a dump of is bootgrabber.exe.

If Q: is your "system" partition (as seen from Disk Management), then your XP BCD entry should be pointed there, not at D...
Are the boot.ini, NTLDR, and NTDETECT.com files in the root of that partition? You just mentioned bootmgr and bootsect.bak.

After several attempts to get the dump I had to reinstall the bootloader. After that easyBCD worked fine. Both installations are accessible.

Thanks for your help!

Addendum:

@Coolname007
Q:\ is just a data partition with the bootmgr and bootsect.bak on it
C:\ = System partition Windows 7
D:\ = System partition Windows XP with boot.ini, NTLDR and NTDETECT.com

Is there anything strange?

Last edited:
Your C: partition is "system" in Disk Management? Or do you just mean it is the Win 7 system.
The boot files of both W7 and XP both should be placed in a single partition (i.e. the "system" partition in Disk Management). Whatever partition that is, that's also where the XP entry in the BCD needs to point.

"Reinstall the bootloader" means?

As in, I'm wondering what changed between bootgrabber not working and bootgrabber working.

@Computer Guru
I just used the "Wiederherstellungskonsole"... don't know the english expression... recovery console... not sure

Can't think of anything else that I have changed...

@Coolname007
C:\ is System Win7
D:\ partition with System Windows XP under Win7

The files are definitely not placed in a single partition.

Did you manually run any commands in the recovery console? or did you use the automated recovery thing?

Thanks.

@Computer Guru
I just used the "Wiederherstellungskonsole"... don't know the english expression... recovery console... not sure

Can't think of anything else that I have changed...

@Coolname007
C:\ is System Win7
D:\ partition with System Windows XP under Win7

The files are definitely not placed in a single partition.
I suggest you check your Disk Management, and you'll likely find your Q: partition marked as "system" in there. And if you check the root of that partition with hidden files and folders shown, and protected system files unhidden in the Folder Options of the Control Panel, you should find the XP boot files BOOT.INI, NTLDR, and NTDETECT.COM there, along with bootmgr, and the hidden "boot" folder which contains BCD.

Last edited:
@Computer Guru
I used the automated recovery thing...

@Coolname007
One thing is true - Q:\ is the System partition

This are my hd's

hda
hda1 = WinXP Swap
hda2 = Q:\ (data WinXP and Win7) with bootmgr and bootsect.bak
hda3 = C:\ (Windows 7)

hdb
hdb1 = Prog WinXP