xp install

mlnoyes

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Have a issue installing xp pro on a new Toshiba c855d-s5303 with Windows 8 preinstalled. finally got the xp disk to boot changing the boot mode from UEFI to CSM boot. Disk loads drivers and files and then freezes at starting windows then blue screen with stop error 0X0000007B. Then tried formatting entire drive and installing again with the same result. Toshiba cant tell me why. Can delete and install Windows 8 all day. What am I doing wrong. All Toshiba could come with was to get a new drive and try again.

How old is your copy of XP pro ?
Early copies (pre SPs) will not have native support for SATA drives which came on SP1 iirc.

You need to bear in mind that if you change it to get XP working, it will stop the existing OS's from working.
You need to figure out what to do to get XP in in the current mode, or how to fix it afterwards.
There are old threads which discuss this if you search back.
Try looking for "matrix storage manager"

Last edited:
New to forum. I was visited by family including a ten-year old grandson. I activated an old PC running Win XP Pro for them. It worked for a few days until they began to install Google Chrome and Windows Live stuff. The installs did not go well and the system hung. I decided to delete some of the recent stuff from the control panel/ uninstall programs.
The Chrome uninstall gave a message that Chrome had been unistalled and Internet explorer was active again. On rebooting in safe mode I could not start IE. after a brief flash, the screen went to the desktop. I tried to use system restore (start/all programs/accessories/ system tools/ system restore) but again there is a minimal reaction, but the screen goes to desktop.
For three consecutive days, three technicians from PC Services of my ISP tried conventional remedies and took over the PC from their end. The keyboard stopped working when trying to enter the admin password. On the third day, they could not maintain a connection with my PC.
I decided to reinstall XP Pro from the original CD. After deleting the first 50gb partition and formating it, XP began to install and accepted the 25 character code. After rebooting, a message requested loading files from the original XP Pro SP1 CD. I do not have this CD, though I have the SP2 CD.
Q: where can I download the SP1 or purchase the CD for this and SP3?
I purchased Dell laptop with Win 7 Pro last year and established a virtual X86 machine on it. Could that be helpful?
I have worked with PCs since single sided floppies had DOS 1.0 OS (96kb including the game Hammurabbi!) but this propblem has me stymied
Please help!

I should point out that if you have antivirus installed, disable it or the Service Pack installation will most likely fail.
Also uninstall anything "beta" that you may have because it will be locked in place otherwise. You can reinstall it afterwards.
There's no need to install SP1, 2 and 3 as SP3 contains all critical updates since XP was introduced in October 2001 up to around mid-April 2008.
So you'll still have lots of updates to install.
Once totally patched your XP is now good up until 08 April 2014, but keep it updated......good luck!

This may be useful:

How to slipstream SP3 into an earlier XP installation disc using nlite:http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-inst allation-cd
(Do not attempt to slipstream XP SP3 using a Vista machine - future system activation may fail as a result).

Last edited:
Back