XP Pro und Vista

Hi folks, this is Achim from Germany. Can you help me ? Today I installed Vista on my laptop. XP was installed years ago. Next step was installing BCD 1.71.

Unfortunately XP does not boot any more. Tried to modify BCD settings, without success. Vista always boots, but not XP. Vista shows itself at drive c:, and XP is d:

First, I do not understand, why Vista has not seen XP during install process.

Second, if I change the active partition in Vista into d: (means XP), XP boots without problems, but now Vista is not longer bootable. If you boot XP and modify the active partition back to Vista (in XP shown as D:smile:, BCD appears and you are able to boot Vista. If you try to boot XP using BCD, the message \NTLDR could not be loaded, is missing or damaged, Status c000000f

Why does BCD not switch the active partition ? Where is the mistake ?

Thank you

Achim

Good evening,

sorry, read this stuff but my only idea is to copy XP-boot-files to the vista partition. Is this the solution ?

thanks for replying

Achim

OK, will try it tomorrow morning.

thanks so far, i will let you know if it works

Achim

Addendum:

Good morning,

i copied now XP - boot files (boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect) to the vista partition. and...it works...

Funny configuration, I think

Thanks so far

Achim

Last edited:
They're not actually "XP" boot files - they're system boot files, and they belong on the active primary partition.... which is not necessarily the same as the XP one, as the documentation details.

At any rate, glad to hear it works. :smile:

I happen to be reading this thread and I'm curious to know how Erwin is able to copy the XP files he needed if he couldn't boot in XP? Where exactly are these files being copied too in Vista?

I'm getting ready to go through the same process here and this is one of the things that were not quite clear to me.

Thanks in advance to all

I happen to be reading this thread and I'm curious to know how Erwin is able to copy the XP files he needed if he couldn't boot in XP? Where exactly are these files being copied too in Vista?

I'm getting ready to go through the same process here and this is one of the things that were not quite clear to me.

Thanks in advance to all

The XP drive isnt hidden in Vista. So you can get the files for XP from within Vista and copy them to the correct place that way.:wink:

The XP drive isnt hidden in Vista. So you can get the files for XP from within Vista and copy them to the correct place that way.:wink:
Thank you for your answer.

@Computer Guru

I did read the documentation but a few things weren't clear to me but thanks for the answer none the less.

Back