xp si! vista no!

Following the steps to dual xp to a vista system, when I get to Manage Bootloader to Write MBR to reinstall the Vista Booloader I get this error message:

Boot Sector Manipulation Tool has encountered a problem and needs to close

Yet I reboot xp and discover when I open EasyBCD it has the proper entries, Vista and XP. Yet I am unable to boot vista though I am given the option to do so when I boot up initially.

Although this whole process is alien to me, I generally follow directions pretty well despite not knowing the why. In this instance I seem to have gone astray.

I have a single 222 GB HDD divided into four patitions.

The first, no letter designation has 55 MB FAT and Healthy (EISA).

The second, RECOVERY, E, has 10.GB NTFS and Healthy.

The third, OS, C [vista], has 203.24 GB NTFS and Healthy (System).

The Fourth, D [xp], has 19.53 NTFS and Healthy (Boot).

1. I partitioned my HDD to make space for xp
2. I dwnld EasyBCD and .NET framework 2.0
3. I installed xp.
4. xp booted properly.
5. Installed .NET framework and opened EasyBCD.
6. Added vista to entry and save
7. Attempted to repair vista installer. Failed.

From all above, any idea as to where I've stumbled and how to amend?

Addendum:

SOLVED

I installed EasyBCD 2.0 and it took care of the problem whatever it was. I'm able to boot into both os now.

Last edited:
1. I partitioned my HDD to make space for xp
2. I dwnld EasyBCD and .NET framework 2.0
3. I installed xp.
4. xp booted properly.
5. Installed .NET framework and opened EasyBCD.
6. Added vista to entry and save
7. Attempted to repair vista installer. Failed.
Hello Swellafella, welcome to NST.
Though your problem seems to be already solved, it sounds like you must have pointed the Vista entry at the wrong partition drive letter, that's why you couldn't boot it. And as there should have been already a Vista entry in the BCD, what happened to the original one? Did you delete it?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter now, but it may help future users with the same (or similiar) issue.

Cheers. :smile:

Jake

Anyway, it doesn't really matter now...

My sincerest apology to all. Afraid I spoke much to soon. In my enthusiasm in booting Vista I assumed xp remained viable. I received, however, this message upon opting to load xp:

Windows failed to start
1. Insert your windows install discs...
etc.

file \NTLDL
status 0xc000000f

selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

Seems I've come full circle. Your point of my marking the wrong partition in the first instance rings true.

Is that also the probable cause of this lates glitch? Would I be amiss in re-installing xp, in effect starting over, or would you suggest a less draconian measure?

Back