XP Vista 2 HDD

the_pilot

Hi to all,

I am trying to get my Vista and XP installations handled with Eays BCD.
My current settings are:
Code:
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 10 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista
Entry #1
Name:  Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID:  {current}
Drive:  C:\
Bootloader Path:  \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory:  \Windows
Entry #2
Name:  Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID:  {aff50a66-18de-11df-aa8f-6cf04951ea94}
Drive:  E:\
Bootloader Path:  \NTLDR

I installed both systems on different hdd. During installation I switch off the other HDD.
The problem is, that the XP installation does not start with the above posted settings.
I always get a reboot, with a 2-line fast vanishing message (says something with Boot.ini)

My XP Boot.ini looks like the following:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

When I switch the boot sequence via BIOS or BootMenue from the board (Gigabyte UD7) XP is starting without problems.

Does anyone got a hint to get both systems started via BCD?

The Pilot

Don't use EasyBCD 1.7 unless you know what additional manual tasks are needed to get XP booting from a Vista install which didn't see it during setup.
Get EasyBCD2 latest build on Vista, boot with Vista first in the BIOS boot sequence.
Delete your previous XP entry from the BCD, add XP again, accept Easy's offer to auto-configure XP for you. (don't try to change the drive letter it uses)
Easy2 will do all the necessary copying and editing from XP to Vista automatically.
the XP HDD is left untouched. You can always boot XP in a Vista emergency, by overriding the BIOS sequence and going directly to the XP HDD.

Back