xp/vista dual boot with two disks, combine to one disk

ywliu

My current configuration is dual boot xp/vista64 on two hard drives (two SATA disks on two SATA channels).

HD#1 has two partition, xp on first (primary) partition and the other (logical) partition (NTFS) is for data (no OS installed).

HD#2 is vista64.

XP is installed first, vista later. The system boots from the xp partition (BCD files and bootmgr are there) and the OS selection menu is the standard vista BCD menu.

Now I want to free HD#2, and move the vista64 installation to the logical partition on HD#1. Since the system will still boot from xp partition, I don't see why this won't work.

I am thinking of copying all the files on hd#2 to hd#1, partition 2. Then going to xp->easybcd to add another entry pointing to hd#1, partition 2. Would this method work? If yes, what would be the simpliest way to do step 1? A command like xcopy?

I think you'll need the services of a utility like partition magic ( or one of the many other similar) to move your system. Copying all the files won't be sufficient.
A web search for "partition copy clone move" should find you several possibles that will give you trial versions.

I think BootIT NG is the best program for what you're looking for. :smile: Its cheaper than Partition Magic, and can do all the copying/sliding/resizing/imaging and any other partition work you ever need, not to mention includes its own bootloader which can boot any OS, and has the ability to easily hide (with a few clicks) Vista from XP so as to protect Vista's system restore points. It also allows you to easily boot multiple OSes from a single partition.

Here's the link:
Boot Manager, Partition Manager, and Drive Image Utility - BootIt Next Generation

I use BING, and so if you ever need any help with it, just drop me a PM. :smile:

Cheers,

Coolname007

Last edited:
Back