XP-->Vista gone wrong?

envorion

Hello, so glad you folks are around and I will stop by to say a more proper hello once I get my head above water.
Scenario:
I decided to install Vista Ultimate64 over WindowsXPpro and it appeared to slick it and run the conversion fine, but now....
I can ONLY boot with the Vista DVD in the drive, otherwise it fails to load, complaining about the ntoskernl.exe being corrupt or missing. Ultimately, I just want it to auto boot into Vista on Drive C:, since I don't have any other OS running (I use vm for that).
I installed EasyBCD but do not see a scenario listed in FAQ that would work and would rather not stumble around trying to reinvent the wheel and get it right. Any help is appreciated.

Disk Management:
C(Sata): Simple Basic NTFS Healthy(Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
D(EIDE): Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

C contains windows folders, the BCD Boot folder, Program Files, etc
D (for whatever reason) contains the original Boot folder with misc. language files, *.ini, etc)

Thanks in advance.

Disk Management

Hi envorion, welcome to NST

Have you tried startup repair? See our Wiki for the details.
Also have a look at troubleshooting in the sticky in my sig if you have any other problems.

Hi Justin,
Indeed, I tried that...ran repair and it says everything works, then remove the dvd on reboot and back to the same issue. I have been through the FAQ and other scenarios (thinking my issue can't be THAT unique...) but no luck thus far.

Thanx, good to be here.

Startup repair is one of the newer and probably less worked on features. For some it requires a few trys to fix everything.

Remove any extra USB storage devices and try startup repair 2-3 times. If it doesn't work after that give the manual command-line recovery a try from the steps in our wiki. Use bcdedit at the command-line and provide the output here.

The IDE drive is "system" and could be confusing the repair. (that's where it's trying to boot from and why it can't find the kernel)
Which drive is first in the BIOS ?
Try disconnecting the IDE disk while you repair startup, and make sure that the SATA comes before the IDE in the boot sequence when you reconnect it.

Yeah.. remove any drives that your Vista install isn't on. Its probably confusing startup repair.

Sorry it took so long to get back...situation is still the same but here are some more details:
I tried disconnection usb storage and running startup repair - no difference
I tried disconnecting the EIDE drive - boot failure lookinf for bcd files

My current info pulled into Easy BCD is:
There is one entry in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 5 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista
Entry #1
Name: Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

You would think this looks right but it obviously doesn't work. What other logs would be helpful?
Thank you

Addendum:

Maybe detailed settings would help?
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
displayorder {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 5
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
nx OptOut

Last edited:
In post 7 I said, disconnect IDE and then repair startup from the Vista DVD.
You need the C: disk to be marked "system" and be 1st in the BIOS boot sequence.
At the moment you've got the BCD saying that the bootmanager is on C: when it's really on D: (that's what the "system" flag is telling you.)
When you try to repair, it's still finding the BCD and bootmgr on D: and going to that.
Remove it so that it can't be found, then do the repair (possibly 2 or 3 times) till Vista boots from C: and C: is marked "system".
Then you can put the IDE drive back, and as long as the BIOS finds C: before D: you'll be fine.

Back