XP, Vista, SUSE 10.2 on Intel Matrix RAID0 Volume withNeoGrub

I have checked around until I'm blue in the face, but haven't found a solution.

Details:

I am using an Intel Matrix RAID0 Volume with 3 Primary partitions each 50GB.
Partition (hd0,0) XP, (hd0,1) Vista x64, (hd0,2) SUSE 10.2 64-bit.

I am able to boot into XP and Vista with no problem.

When I setup SUSE, I got the following GRUB configuration:

title openSUSE 10.2
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/mapper/isw_dffeigigad_RaV1_part3 vga=0x31a splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/initrd
boot

When I use NeoGRUB, it drops off to the GRUB> prompt.
If I type the following lines at the GRUB> prompt,

root (hd0,2) <ENTER>
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/mapper/isw_dffeigigad_RaV1_part3 vga=0x31a splash=silent showopts <ENTER>
initrd /boot/initrd <ENTER>
boot <ENTER>

It boots into SUSE with no problems, and everything works great.

THE QUESTION: What do I have to do to get NeoGRUB to actually parse the menu.lst file and run those commands without me having to type them manually each time?

Thanks for any help on this.

Mary

Computer Guru said:
Hi Mary,

Did you configure the NeoGrub menu.lst and you're still having this problem?
Yes, the first set of lines are from my menu.lst file as well. The funny part is that I can type each line at the GRUB> prompt, and then it boots into SUSE. Nevertheless, it doesn't run my menu.lst automatically. I have uninstalled and reinstalled NeoGrub and EasyBCD 1.6 several times thinking something might be corrupt, but the same result occurs.

Thanks for any help. I don't feel like typing all those lines everytime I want to boot into Linux. :<(

huh, that's very interesting!

EasyBCD 1.61 features some improvements to the NeoGrub code, will you be willing to test that when its ready?

In the meantime, try copying menu.lst to C:\ instead of c:\NST (or whatever the drive letter is), does that work?

Computer Guru said:
huh, that's very interesting!

EasyBCD 1.61 features some improvements to the NeoGrub code, will you be willing to test that when its ready?

In the meantime, try copying menu.lst to C:\ instead of c:\NST (or whatever the drive letter is), does that work?
Sure, I'd be willing to test EasyBCD 1.61 when its ready.

I tried copying menu.lst to C:\ instead of C:\NST with the same result.

When I'm at the GRUB> prompt, I even tried every method of trying to load the file there with no success.

I tried things like:
configfile C:\menu.lst
configfile (hd0,0)/menu.lst
configfile (hd0,0)\menu.lst

It always says, cannot load partition or something like that. It could be a syntax issue.
However, it is interesting that by entering each line from the menu.lst manually allows a reboot. At least that confirms that it is accessible to NeoGRUB.

I have the intel D975XBX motherboard, which has two SATA RAID controllers on board...An Intel Matrix RAID and a Silicon Image controller. I have 4 identical drives on the Matrix RAID controller, and 2 identical drives on the Silicon Image controller. I don't know if any of that will help, but it is mainly to bring focus to the fact that I'm using what Linux calls FakeRAID. And no, I didn't configure any kind of RAID inside my SUSE partition.

I did notice that the only way I got GRUB to configure correctly was to point it to the Custom Partition boot partition choice and select isw_dffeigigad_RaV1_part3 from the drop down. Root and Boot partition choices did not work. Evidently, that weird name, isw_dffeigigad_RaV1_part3, is because of it being a RAID volume. I don't know if you've come across this type of configuration. I would imagine it will start getting increasingly common, since people want to use RAID and the latest Linux Kernels support it.

Thanks again for any help and the cool software.

Yeah, that might actually explain it... I'm afraid I haven't tested EasyBCD or NeoGrub on a RAID (don't have one), but you can be sure we'll our best to get our hands on one for extensive testing and documentation soon as the $$$ are available :smile:

Back